Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

June 22nd, 2014 12:00

Precision M4500 Bios will not update from A07 to A08

I have a brand new, to me, refurbished Precision M4500, that I purchased from Dell. This laptop came with Windows 7 Pro, 32 bit OS, 4Gb ram, 250 gig HD, bios is A07. I have plans to install a larger hard drive, 8 Gb Ram, and Widows 7 Pro 64 bit OS. The reason for OS change is because I have heard that the 32 bit version will not recognize more than 4 Gb of ram. The first day that I had it, the machine would not wake up from hibernation. I checked online and found out that this is one of reasons for the A08 version bios. According to bios update instructions I am supposed to install A08 before jumping to A15, which is the latest version. I have downloaded and tried to install the A08 several times now, I have tried to run as administrator and every other way that I can think of, except for a bootable DOS flash drive, which I do not yet have. The executable starts and I get yes or no dialog from Widows, also get warning to close programs from update .exe, click OK then nothing happens.The bios is not password protected because I am able to access it on boot without a password. I am new to this forum and hope that I have posted in the right area. Any help that anyone could give would be greatly appreciated. I did not get a warranty with this refurbished laptop so I am left to my own devices. I have read in another laptop forum about someone else who is having the same problem with the same machine. I am tempted to just do the jump to A15, but I am afraid that I might render the system inoperable. Thank you for any input that you might have.

3 Apprentice

• 

540 Posts

June 23rd, 2014 12:00

Hi VisionFire,

Thanks for the post. I would first suggest checking in the BIOS currently installed on your system if the Signed Firware update (opt in) in the BIOS can be found under the security settings and is listed as "Signed Firmware Update". Once this feature is turned on, it cannot be disabled.

If this setting is enabled the system will checks all BIOS updates are dell signed prior to completing installation, If for some reason the .exe file is not signed or corrupted, the installation will fail.

If the setting is disabled. Have you been able to try reinstalling A07 or even flashing back to a previous version before upgrading to A08?

If the setting is enabled. I would suggest downloading the A08 file again to make sure the version already downloaded was not corrupted in its original download.   

For more information on the signed driver settings and BIOS updates see below:

http://www.dell.com/support/troubleshooting/us/en/04/KCS/KcsArticles/ArticleView?c=us&l=en&s=gen&docid=533168

1.       Please note that if the A01 BIOS is currently installed on your system you must
first apply the P02 patch (M4500P02.EXE) before upgrading to this BIOS.
P02 BIOS link: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?driverId=R271142

2.       Please note that if the A07 or before A07 BIOS is currently installed on your system
you must first update to A08 BIOS and then flash to the latest A-rev BIOS.
A08 BIOS link: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?driverId=J2M4W

3.       Please note that if the A09 or before A09 BIOS is currently installed on your system
you must first update to A10 BIOS and then flash to the latest A-rev BIOS.
A10 BIOS link: http://www.dell.com/support/drivers/us/en/04/DriverDetails?driverId=R3GXK

Regards,

July 3rd, 2014 08:00

Hi Shawn and thanks for your help. Sorry for the late reply but I have been working on the Dell in my spare time when not at work. I have been working six days a week. I have installed 8Gb Ram, also new 1tb HDD, installed Windows 7 Pro 64bit. Machine is now up and running, very stable Haven't tried to hibernate or sleep yet, so I don't know if problem still exists or not. I am now obsessing on this bios thing. The thing that I don't get about the signed driver part of your reply is that all of the drivers that I have installed when doing the clean install came from the Dell support site, and all of them installed just fine. This is where I am getting the bios files from. I have also tried flash to A07 with same results. Tried flash to A15, got message saying that I have to flash to A08 first. Haven't tried to go backwards yet though. I will check bios for the signed driver option, but even if it is turned on, I just don't understand why it won't flash. I have tried something like four different downloads now. Don't remember the DOS commands to run from command prompt it's been so long since I have used DOS for anything. I have bios files in download folder on C drive. I would welcome any other suggestions that you might have. Will be working on this when I have the time. Thanks again for your help.

1 Message

August 3rd, 2016 23:00

SOLVED:

Install in the order below.  Make sure to hit and go into BIOS setup after each one and make sure that the Only Allow Signed BIOS is NOT CHECKED.  It's in the security section of the BIOS.  

M4500A01

M4500P02  Search for M4500A02, but you will get M4500P02, which is actually A01.1

M4500A08

M4500A15

I am on my M4500 typing this right now and had the EXACT same situation you did.  Bought a refurbished M4500 with A07 on it.

Hope this helps!

BobbyGee2003

No Events found!