Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

November 22nd, 2012 08:00

SATA Operation--Cannot run laptop in AHCI! Why?

I have a Dell Latitude, E5420, Core i5 laptop I just completed a clean, fresh Windows XP installation with all the latest Win/Dell drivers/updates.  Here's my question/issue:  I cannot boot the laptop into the AHCI Sata operation, which is the default.  Only ATA will boot.  This setting is in the BIOS under System Configuration/Settings/Sata Operation.  The laptop set in ATA seems to work just fine, but I am wondering if some other issue will arise later not being in the default AHCI?  What are the drawbacks of running only in ATA?  Am I missing a setting or something?  Any advice will be very much appreciated.

Thank you,:emotion-18:

Denny G.

2K Posts

November 22nd, 2012 10:00

The Windows XP operating system is compatible with ATA mode only so you are unable to boot from AHCI mode. You can select AHCI mode only if the computer has Windows vista or higher Operating system.

The differences between ATA and AHCI are given below which should answer your questions:

(1)    AHCI is a controller interface while ATA is a standard for connecting storage devices.

(2)    AHCI is hot swappable, meaning you can unplug a drive when the computer is running and should have OS on installed on it.

(3)    You would need to reinstall the OS with AHCI to work and that would require an installation CD that has that default install configuration on it.

(4) AHCI is ideal for RAID and hot swappable drives.

(5)    If the system will be used like a server and it needs to be on all the time then you should have AHCI or ATA is good.

If you have any further questions please reply to the same post.

7 Posts

November 22nd, 2012 16:00

Kiran, thank you so much.  Under the circumstances and as long as the laptop runs as well as it seems on ATA, I'll just leave well enough alone.  Thanks!

Denny G.

2K Posts

November 23rd, 2012 06:00

Hi giaruso,

Yes you can do that, if you have any questions in future you can reply to the same post.

No Events found!