Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

June 3rd, 2011 15:00

Safety Remove Hardware (External Drive)

Hi,

I plugged my external drive into my Dell Laptop Studio 1558 and the light comes up on itself. As I concern it's working because if I plugged it in my laptop it does work for sure. Everything works fine, when I click "Safety Remove Hardware" and I wait for a while, but the light on my external drive doesn't gone, I waited like 20 minutes and it's still there and when I unplugged it, it has sound when I unplug (it's like I didn't safety remove). I don't want to unplug it because I heard from someone "You should complete remove the flash drive or external drive before you unplug it, or else, the data will be lost". This is scare me so bad, however my data still in there but I don't want to plug it again... [Addition detail: Seem like other computer doesn't have this problem, the light went off immediately when I click safety remove.] So here are my question:

1. How do I do with this problem?

2. Is that possible if I didn't safety remove, my data will be lost [external drive]?

Thank you,

Pat

14.4K Posts

June 3rd, 2011 16:00

Even after windows tells you it's safe to remove the hardware, the usb port is still powered hence the light on the external drive remains lit. Don't be worried by this as its ok to unplug the drive at this time without worry of data corruption/loss.

28 Posts

Did you get the message that it is OK to remove?   When you go to Computer or My Computer and see your C drive, does your external drive appear?  My external drive light is on when I disconnect.  Finally, you can always shut down the computer and then disconnect.

269 Posts

Are you left-clicking or right-clicking on the "Safely Remove Hardware" icon as you should be getting a pop-up menu allowing you to select the device you'd like to remove (even if there's only one)?  I believe the concern about data loss mainly occurs when a device is removed in the middle of a copy process or if an application is using the device when it's unplugged.  As long as there are no applications using the device and you're not copying data to/from it, you're probably safe from data loss but it's always a good idea to use the "Safely Remove Hardware" option when possible.

35 Posts

June 3rd, 2011 16:00

Yes, it said OK to remove. And also it disappear after I click safety remove. But there is some suggestion:

First I can't post any picture from this topic anymore so I'll tell you to let you see the picture. In the Control Panel>Hardware and sound>Devices and Printers, there are two pictures in Devices, one is my laptop type one is my external drive, both of them got yellow warning sign and I had troubleshoot my laptop and it said: No Unknow Device found (and that is only one device I don't have and I can't find it) and for external drive said "USB Mass Storage Device is not working properly". My suggestion is that something about Unknown Device?

No Events found!