Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 19th, 2017 10:00

Vostro 3460. No Post/Splash Screen. No Boot

I have a Dell Vostro 3460 which we purchased from Dell 4-5 years ago. 2 years ago we had to replace the hard drive but otherwise has operated generally well. A couple of days ago it was shut down normally for the night but the following morning the machine did not start.

After trying a few things the machine did start and ran normally. Shut the machine down, no start. After more tinkering it started again and ran alright. Scanned the machine for malware - clean. Ran a system file check (though that shouldn't stop the splash screen) and no corrupt files found. Shut the machine down and no start.

We have:

1. Removed the battery and tried  the machine on AC only. 

2. Held the power button down while it was NOT connected to the AC or battery to force discharge the RAM

3. Attached a different AC power supply at a different AC power source (both used by another laptop without issues) - no response.

4. Held the Fn button while turning on the unit (with no apparent results)

The machines power LED light comes on and the 3 utility buttons (upper right corner above the keyboard) cycle through (they light up) but nothing beyond that. No boot up sounds when listening to the unit.

Any thoughts?

532 Posts

January 19th, 2017 14:00

Hi,

Welcome to our Community. Try pressing the function key (Fn) and then the power button together, check if the system goes to the diagnostic mode.

Let us know the LED status on the AC adaptor when the adaptor is connected and when the adaptor is not connected to the system.

January 20th, 2017 08:00

The Fn + Power does not send the machine into diagnostic mode.

The LED remains lit on the PSU whether  it is connected to the machine or not. If the PSU is disconnected from the outlet, the LED remains lit for a short period of time then fades and shuts off.

This is consistent behavior across all 3 of the PSUs I've tried. The original that came with the laptop, another dell 90W PSU and a Targus universal

During the course of testing since my original post, the machine did boot one time but remained with the original posting issue of 'no post/splash - black screen' during all other attempts.

Thank you for your reply. Please respond when you can.

532 Posts

January 20th, 2017 11:00

Thank you for the update. Looks like there is a specific hardware that is causing the “no post” issue. Share the service tag, registered owner name of the system via private message. We’ll check and assist you further. To send a private message, click on my name and select ‘Send private message’.

January 20th, 2017 11:00

You should have the private message with requested info now.

No Events found!