Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

A

October 25th, 2017 15:00

What happened to the original Realtek Sound Manager?

From way back in the days of Avance audio, things began with the 'sound effect manager', allowing you to manipulate audio in various ways. This progressed to the Realtek 'HD Audio' manager and was just as good if not better than it's predecessor. 

I have noticed with newer Dell systems (desktop and laptop), that this has been replaced by 'Maxx' audio, which I really don't rate. The Realtek HD Audio manager is no where to be seen, but you could make the same adjustments in the windows sound settings. Is there anyway to go back to this original setup, or is the codec simply different?

Also, if I install the Realtek HD Audio driver, the adjustments can be made in the windows sound settings, but the problem I then have is no jack detection, so headphones don't work! In order to fix this, you need to install Maxxaudio, but then you lose the sound effect settings!

Why do things have to change? Thanks in advance.

4 Operator

• 

13.6K Posts

October 25th, 2017 20:00

Hello. I don't know about Advance audio or sound effect manager. Dell started phasing in Realtek audio systems in the laptops as Sigmatel and IDT audio were fading out of the market. The early Dell's with Realtek had the Realtek HD Audio Manager that you mentioned.

That gave way to "Dell Audio by Realtek", a limited version of the Realtek Audio Manager

and that gave way to plain "Dell Audio".

The Realtek HD Audio manager is no where to be seen, but you could make the same adjustments in the windows sound settings. Is there anyway to go back to this original setup, or is the codec simply different?

I'd guess only if you could make one of the older drivers -- say one meant for an old XPS L501x - work in current Dell laptop, and I imagine it would take quite a lot of hacking to make it work if even possible.

Also, if I install the Realtek HD Audio driver, the adjustments can be made in the windows sound settings, but the problem I then have is no jack detection, so headphones don't work! In order to fix this, you need to install Maxxaudio, but then you lose the sound effect settings!

MaxxAudio is basically a multi-effects program. You can't get the effects you want in MaxxAudio?

What is the model of the laptop, and the operating system?

29 Posts

October 26th, 2017 14:00

Avance audio was the predecessor to Realtek audio, back in the days of AC97 audio codecs.

The realtek program has many more features such as environmental effects and pitch shift.

The laptop is an Inspiron 15 5565 running Windows 7. I can't get it on this or 10, so I think the codec must be completely different.

No Events found!