Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 12th, 2009 12:00

Windows Vista or Windows 7 x64 Drivers for GeForce Go 7900 GTX (XPS M1710)

I've got Windows 7 x64 Ultimate running on my Dell XPS M1710 latop. It seems that Dell's Vista x64 driver isn't quite right. I'm getting lots of intermitent video corruption. Of course, I'm running all the visual enhancements; that's why I spend so much $$$ on this laptop. ;) Mostly the video issues are flashing or brief video corruption using any 3D effects. This is exactly the same kind of issues I had with Windows XP and Vista x86 and x64 until I was able to find nVidia drivers.

Does anyone know where I can get good drivers for Windows 7 x64 or Vista x64? I'm already trying Dell's latest Vista x64 drivers.

What really is annoying is that I missed getting a GeForce Go 7950 GTX by just a few weeks when I bought my Dell XPS M1710 latop. Why is it annoying? Because nVidia is supporting the GeForce Go 7950 GTX but not the GeForce Go 7900 GTX in the "GeForce Release 179 for Notebooks" posted on their website.

Does anyone know why nVidia is shunning ? Is this Dell's or nVidia's decision? nVidia's website says that their lack of support for OEM on GPU is becuase of the OEM's dont' want us going to nVidia for drivers.

Begging for any kind of real answers... This is very annoying!

Thanks to anyone who replies!

51 Posts

January 21st, 2014 12:00

Hello,

I installed the Nvidia GeForce Go 7900 GTX (purchased on Ebay and advertised as Refurbished by manufacturer) as a replacement for my defective GeForce Go 7950 GTX card (the latter is notoriously infamous for breaking down after a couple of years).

The hardware installed fine, and it showed up as a 7900 GTX in the BIOS of my XPS M1710.

However, in Windows 7 x64 it would not recognize the Video card and would show up as Standard VGA Video Adapter, resulting in very poor video resolution and performance.

After searching for about 2 hours and trying all kinds of Nvidia x64 drivers to no avail, removing and trying to autodetect the card to no avail, using the Nvidia Automatic Detection tool to no avail, eventually I found out the hardware ID of the Video card (in Hardware Manager) was:

[DEV_0299&SUBSYS_019B1028] NVIDIA Quadro NVS 510M

Strange was that an Nvidia Quadro NVS 510M was obviously identified (and not the 7900 GTX that also shows up in the BIOS).

After finding that out, I was able to locate the correct video driver:

http://forums.laptopvideo2go.com/topic/24314-v17968-windows-vista-64bit-dell/

Installing that configured the Video Driver correctly.

It now shows up as a Quadro NVS 510M but works brilliantly.

Wanted to share this info with all of you, so that you don't have to go through this like me..

Best regards,

Maarten

1 Rookie

• 

87.5K Posts

August 12th, 2009 12:00

Wait and see whether nVidia releases drivers for the system when the OS is released in October.  I'd bet nVidia has pared back its spending on R&D because of all the red ink it's been spilling over the faulty video chips it produced by the millions in recent years.

2 Posts

August 13th, 2009 02:00

My one has a Go 7950 GTX and now works fine. Windows 7 x64, same as you. Just navigate to nvidia.com and find the latest driver for your video card. Dell hasn't updated their drivers which fit M1710 for years. You won't expect a update from them.

------------ edited -----------

sorry for missing important tips from your post.

try this site: http://laptopvideo2go.com/drivers

It provides some leaked drivers with modified configuration ( so that you could install the driver for a card which is not on the "supported" list).

2 Posts

October 11th, 2009 18:00

This is one of the reasons I will never buy another expensive product from Dell ever again! If I don't plan to throw it away in 2 years, then I won't buy it. Vista Capable was a lie and this driver situation for the latest version of Windows is ridiculous.

51 Posts

January 21st, 2014 13:00

Also found this link that seems to indicate the 7900 GTX and Quadro NVS510M should internally be highly comparable,

http://www.notebookforums.com/t/230101/nvidia-quadro-nvs-510m

1 Message

September 10th, 2017 19:00

Thank you very much! My m1710 had the same problem and I was scratching my head. Your solution saved it.

No Events found!