Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 29th, 2015 05:00

XPS 15 9530 Keyboard Backlight Settings

I clicked Start, control panel, windows mobility center, but didn't see an option to adjust my backlit keyboard settings.How can I change how long the keyboard stays lit?

2K Posts

April 29th, 2015 13:00

Hi jpurvin,

Download and Install DFE - http://dell.to/1IojRzC - from this link. Then go to control panel -> you should find Dell Keyboard Backlight settings or you could open keyboard settings -> backlight tab - you will find options to set the backlight time.

Keep us updated.

August 31st, 2016 10:00

Hey I stumbled upon a solution! If I set the keybord brightness slider to 100% each time I hit Apply or OK, then the =re is no access violation and the setting works. I can then adjust the brightness back to 50% with F10, and the new timing sticks. So its just the applet's brightness level code that breaks something it seems.

August 4th, 2016 08:00

Hello -- when I run the utility, change the setting, and click Apply or OK on Windows 10 I get an error telling me the command shellDLL has stopped working -- settings don't change. Have you seen this work on Windows 10? (XPS 13 9350)

2 Posts

August 31st, 2016 00:00

This worked fine for me. I set the backlit timeout to 5 minutes and it actually stays on for 5 minutes.

Did not do anything special. Dell XPS 13 i7 2016 model 9350

August 31st, 2016 09:00

That's odd. I just redownloaded it, installed it without problems, run the applet, set the timeout to 5 mins, hit Apply and "WIndows Shell Common DLL has stopped working." Latest W10 update running on 2016  i5 non-touch 9350.

2 Posts

August 31st, 2016 10:00

Yeah you are correct. I did not mess around with the 50% option. I just left it at 100% when I was messing around with the settings. Explains why I was about to do it perfectly fine.

September 14th, 2016 03:00

Mr. Rishi,

I did the FEP download asyou suggested, but the backlight tab in the "Dell Keyboard Keyboard Settings" is greyed out and so unusable. I have a Dell Inspiron , # 5558, and I am trying to get the backlighting  to stay on. Also, the Fn + F10 does nothing to the backlighting brightness.

Any ideas, please?

Thank you.

JJ

6 Posts

November 5th, 2016 00:00

this works for precision 5510 as well!

1 Message

November 20th, 2016 17:00

I have been trying to set a timer on my XPS 15 with no luck. The application above does not add the properties to allow the mobility center to show an icon for the keyboard. I am thinking it is a Win 10 problem. I wish there was a way to go into the computer and change something manually. The more I am trying to fix the backlight the less I am liking the keyboard. I had an ASUS Zenbook and the chicklet backlit keyboard was excellent. No harsh light coming from an angle under the keys. On my dell the right side is so much brighter it looks like there is a bulb under it lighting up the whole thing from the left. Pretty ugly and I depend on it. Maybe if I could change the color it would not be as annoying as it is.

No Events found!