Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

April 20th, 2016 07:00

XPS 15 freezes on Facebook scrolling

Hi,

I received my XPS 15 (9550) yesterday and have a lot of complete freezes. the laptop just freezes and i cannot press any more buttons or do anything... the only option is to hold down the power button and restart.

i can reproduce the error when i scroll a bit fast through facebook, so it seems to be related to the graphics driver.

does anyone have the same problem or knows how to fix it? i already tried a complete system reset, but it didn't work.

THX

9 Posts

April 26th, 2016 08:00

Dell changed my motherboard today and now it seems fixed. Definitely a hardware error!

17 Posts

April 25th, 2016 02:00

Hi!

I recognize your issue. I assume you're using Microsoft Edge when you're scrolling through Facebook right? I had the exact same problem happening a while ago (screen freezes randomly and I can't do anything but hold the power button and restart). It didn't happen for weeks but a few minutes ago the issue occurred again.

Can you indicate which Intel Graphics Driver you're using? Mine is 20.19.15.4390 (newest available on the Dell Support website). I'll try using the Intel Beta driver now, because there's several other issues that Intel already fixed in newer drivers (like the Windows Maps app not showing roads) but Dell hasn't released those yet. Will post here about my experience with the latest Beta driver (15.40.20.4404).

In the release notes, Intel says "solved BSODs, Crashes, and Hangs across a number of applications"

https://downloadmirror.intel.com/25848/eng/ReleaseNotes_GFX_15%2040%204404.pdf

17 Posts

April 26th, 2016 07:00

So far, so good! Beta driver 15.40.20.4404 fixes the following problems for me:

• Full system freeze in Microsoft Edge when scrolling through Facebook (only pressing on/off button helps)
  • Roads not visible in Windows Maps
  • Laptop UI response very slow after waking from sleep (and is like that until next reboot).

No crashed/BSODs/etc. so far. Super happy with this driver and can't wait until Intel officially releases it so that Dell can publish it for all XPS 15 9550 users!

17 Posts

April 27th, 2016 02:00

Hmm strange, but good to hear it's fixed now. Please keep us posted on your experiences! Can you indicate which driver version you're using now? Device Manager > Intel HD Graphics 530.

No Events found!