Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

Closed

December 23rd, 2008 13:00

plugged in, not charging

I purchased a Dell Inspiron 1525 in April 2008.

About 1 month ago I noticed that my computer would automaticaly shut down when the power cord was removed, I hovered over the battery icon in the bottom right corner and it said 0% available plugged in, not charging.

I googled the phrase plugged in, not charging and realised lots of people were having the same problem.

I have tried

• restarting and shutting down my computer (with and without battery and with and without power cord)
  • removing and replacing my battery (while laptop is on and off)
  • a replacement battery from Dell
  • my sister's battery and power cord (she also has a 1525)in my laptop and get the message plugged in, not charging. My battery in her laptop will charge but my power cord in her laptop says plugged in, not charging
  • removing the battery with the laptop on then restarting the laptop and replacing the battery
  • uninstalling and reinstalling the Power Management Software
  • switching between power plans
  • flashing with current bios

All 3 batteries (hers, my original and my replacement) have adequate charge (50% or higher)

I run with Windows Vista Home edition

Can anyone help me or suggest anything else?

I have been to the local Dell distributer and they tell me to call Dell.  I have tried calling Dell but I keep getting put on hold for 30+ minutes.

PLEASE PLEASE HELP ME!!!

5 Posts

May 18th, 2012 02:00

Hello, KJR_23,

Good stuff.  Thanks.  I wanted to let you know that it was the power connection/board inside. See BARTNIK's response:

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/t/19179843.aspx?PageIndex=1

9 Posts

May 28th, 2012 07:00

One more addition to the list - replace power supply.

I have a Dell Precision M4500, basically a Latitude on steroids,and yesterday it started giving this problem.  I went through this thread, trying most of the solutions, including tapping the computer near the power socket, blowing into the socket (!), plus most of the software solutions, but nothing worked.  So I went out and bought a replacement power adapter, and bingo!  It worked.  It was a defective power adapter.

Clearly this is one symptom with many possible causes.

1 Message

July 13th, 2012 01:00

OMG!!!!! I could NOT believe this worked!!!!!!!! I thought at first.... "Yeah right.... it couldn't be that simple." Yeah ate my own words!!! After call after call to Dell.....updates in such and all I had to do was tap a bit on my computer.

I CANT THANK U ENUF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

3 Posts

July 13th, 2012 08:00

Kind of funny that in 2012 we're using the same method (hitting our electronics) that we used on the old TV we used to have. Hey but it really does work. I had to literally to pound on mine after numerous tapped went unheeded.

2 Posts

September 6th, 2012 10:00

surprisingly...it works for me too.

thanks

Dell Vostro 1400, Windows 7 32 bit 

934 Posts

September 6th, 2012 13:00

You should prepare yourself in case the problem turns up again....

1 Message

September 13th, 2012 11:00

DELL LATITUDE  E5500 - cann't charging & power on.

Adapter is working to another laptop.

how can solve my problem, please help me.

September 13th, 2012 12:00

My Dell laptop's charger plug socket seems to be loose. Inserting the charging plug rarely initiates a charging cycle. I have found that by holding the plug firmly in the socket for a few seconds, I can sometimes get the charging to begin. Sometimes...not always. There may also be an algorhythm governing at what level of battery charge the charging cycle can begin. I don't know if this will solve your problem, but it's an easy, cheap way to find out if you have the same problem.

1 Message

September 16th, 2012 13:00

Holy <ADMIN NOTE: Profanity removed as per TOU> -that worked!!!!!!!!!!  Thank you :)

2 Posts

September 20th, 2012 04:00

Hi it's me again.

Last time i managed to get the battery charged by punching on the laptop near the power area front and back.

However there is one time that all the punching did not work.

Then i found new way that works well until now.

When i insert the power cable to the laptop i do it from non-horizontal direction so as to put pressure on the pin inside the power cable entry before the cable is connected properly to the laptop.

I have tried from downward, upward, left and right.

Alhamdulillah, I'm grateful that my problem has been resolved completely.

Dell Vostro 1400 Windows 7

2 Posts

November 4th, 2012 00:00

Nope. This did not work for me. Dang it.

All was well until I bought a NEW battery via DELL.

Now it is always "plugged in, not charging."

December 13th, 2012 21:00

I fixed my plugged in not charging! I read on another site about the dc power plug having a loose wire in it. I peeled the  black rubber back from the plug exposing the wires soldered to the back of the plug. The very small center wire that sends the signal to the computer to.tell it's the right power supply was broken of. I solder  the wire back on the center connector. Plugged it back in and it working now. Dell Inspiron 1750. I am ordering a new plug from eBay for $5.

December 14th, 2012 05:00

OMG really it's as simple as just a solder joint? Tell me, when you peeled back the insulation, were you able to restore the rubber insulation back to original or did you have to buy a new plug? When you say "ordering a new plug," do you mean the whole charger -- including the square transformer -- or just the wire between the transformer and the computer?

December 14th, 2012 08:00

That was all it was is a tiny broken wire right as it went in the back of the plug. You basically have to destroy the rubber sleeve around the back of the plug to repair the break.I ordered a wire and plug off Ebay not the transformer unit.

This video shows the problem at 2 minutes in http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OI7DBtZg-QQ

I will have to take the adapter apart and and solder the new wire to the circuit board inside for a permanent repair.

1 Message

January 1st, 2013 18:00

KJR_23,

I just googled this problem of plugged in, not charging for a friend and I tried the F2 Battery check, nothing.  Then I came across your solution, as simply as it sounded I tried it.

CHARGING!!!  I can't believe it.  You are right.  A simply tapping above the esc button worked.  Personally I feel sorry for my friend who purchased this dell and this seems to be a recurring problem.  I'll stick to a Mac.

thanks!

No Events found!