Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

J

March 28th, 2018 11:00

7480 - Fan Running

Anyone finding their Latitude 7480's fan running constantly, after updating the BIOS to version 1.9.3?  I have at least two end-users reporting the same condition...

1 Message

March 28th, 2018 19:00

This is my third Latitude 7480. The first one was not turning on. The second one, after loading all the things on it and get it going, I turned it off. Went home, never turned it on again until I went back to computer support. They did something with the battery and it was working fine. The replacement of the second one came in and now the thrid one has the problem that you describe. The fan never stops working and especially when it's connected to the charger the fan is so damm noisy! 

87 Posts

April 6th, 2018 09:00

Also be sure that you're using the latest BIOS and ChipSet drivers.

87 Posts

April 6th, 2018 09:00

I updated the BIOS on a couple more 7480's.  The fan fires up initially, but stops after a reboot.  It seems that the other 7480's in question are actually experiencing this because of CPU usage, and not due to the BIOS rev.

If your 7480's fan is running non-stop, see if it continues while running the Dell Diagnostics and/or booting Windows into Safe Mode.

May 12th, 2018 10:00

I have used Dell Diagnostics, also booted in Windows Safe Mode. The fan is still running loud :-(

The latest chipset drivers are already installed, included the videocard, sound, bluetooth & wifi, lan drivers.

1 Message

May 17th, 2018 10:00

Any resolution to this issue?  I got a user that also has a latitude 7480 that has a fan that constantly runs, even tried to go into the additional power settings to adjust the cooling in the System Cooling policy to passive and the fan is still running.  Will there be a new BIOS update any time soon?

May 23rd, 2018 05:00

i have downgraded to 1.7.3.

fannoise is gone now

1 Message

February 13th, 2021 02:00

Dude - you saved my sanity.

I had a 7280 with the same issue - fan would start up at some point, probably legitimately under load but surely at too higher speed (full speed / volume I suspect) then never back off.

I downgraded from 1.19.0 to 1.7.3 and, touch wood, it's behaving normally now i.e. once, on occasion I could just hear a faint whir as the fan ran for a few minutes as the laptop was being hammered by a complex spreadsheet calculation then it went quiet again.

I was slight apprehensive about the big jump in downgrade but there was no issue.

To Dell engineers - whatever you introduced to the BIOS fan control (or lack of it) after 1.7.3 still persists in 1.19.0.

No Events found!