Start a Conversation

Unsolved

DI

6 Posts

April 20th, 2019 03:00

Battery wont charge above 83% ! :((

I have a Dell latitude 3340, yesterday i noticed that it said "83% plugged in not charging". Some times the battery stops charging at 80% and if i remove the adapter and plug it again, then it starts charging but stops for good at 83%.
I tried clearing CMOS by pressing power button for 1 Min but didn't work.
I ran through a few Diagnostics but battery test always passes & BIOS says battery health is excellent . i dont know what is causing this. Is this a Battery issue or a power adapter problem. since i bought that laptop a few months ago (second hand) i get a message in bios saying that AC power adapter is not recognized. I was wondering if my battery not charging is related to power adapter. should i get a new battery or change my Power adapter?

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

April 20th, 2019 09:00

Search for the Dell troubleshooting guide for this.

April 20th, 2019 10:00

Yes it does have a Dell logo & voltage output is 19.5V , 3.34 A

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

April 21st, 2019 01:00

Yes it looks perfectly fine.

1 Rookie

• 

118 Posts

April 21st, 2019 12:00

It seems to me that your battery is not reporting the correct state of charge. Laptop batteries will have reduced capacity resulting from age, usage and heat. Your reported 83% is most probably the new full for your current capacity compared to the original design capacity.

If you want to see a reported 100% when the battery is full, you need to recalibrate the battery. To recalibrate your laptop battery, run it down to near-empty and then charge it all the way back up to full. Remember that now a reported 100% will be the current full capacity or 83% of the original design capacity.

April 22nd, 2019 09:00

I did as you said but now my battery stops charging at 77% instead of 80-83%

1 Rookie

• 

118 Posts

April 22nd, 2019 11:00

As I said in my post, your battery has aged and cannot hold the original designed capacity (WH). Since you started seeing the 83%, it could be that it is now at 77% of the original capacity. That is normal.

My suggestion to recalibrate the battery normally would reset things to show 100% again when the battery is full even though it is not at the original design capacity. It is just a visual. Your battery is now holding the maximum charge it can after a recharge. Unless you are experiencing any other anomalies, everything is good with your battery. It is just getting weaker.

If you still want to see 100% after a full recharge, you might want to try the discharge-recharge again. Also keeping in mind that a battery life is  linked to the number of discharges-recharges it experiences. Remember that what you want is just a visual, nothing is really different when it shows 100%, 83% or 77%.

No Events found!