Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

August 18th, 2018 02:00

DELL latitude e5430 not POST

Hello there, I'm trying to fix a DELL latitude e5430 which suddenly sotpped making POST.

When i press the power button the HDD led blinks for onw second and then all the leds remain off except the power button.

The tests that I have done are the following:
- I had dissassembled the entire PC to test hardware parts like DVD reader, HDD, wifi module, GSM modem. I also tried to remove CMOS battery and the display.

- I tried a lot of times to keep pressed the power button for around 30 seconds without any result.

- I tried to perform diagnositc boot by pressing "fn" + "power button" keys, and the battery led keeps blinking with white light (all the other leds are off).

I haven't  tried to change RAM module because i don't have one yet.

The weird thing is that the pc sometimes correctly boots and it works untill reboot. I tried to update bios firmware but a reboot is needed so I can't do that.

The power supplier and the battery are both original,

Have you any tips for me?

September 6th, 2018 13:00

Hi! Finally I have found the solution, the problem was the motherboard. After tried to change the ram module without success, I have ordered a used spare on ebay and now the laptop start correctly.

Thanks for your support!

5.6K Posts

August 18th, 2018 08:00

Why didn't you run Dell Diagnostics?

205 Posts

August 18th, 2018 09:00

I would go into the BIOS and use the option to set everything back to standard settings (I am not sure what that is exactly named on the E6430 - probably "Load Default Settings" or "Load Setup Defaults", etc.) and then save and reboot to see if that helps.

It's quite possible that it's a hardware problem, but there are also BIOS settings that can cause serious problems (especially on Win 10) - for example, I have an E6540 with a setting that forced the Sleep function off, and after upgrading to Win 10, I had serious problems until I reset it, like the machine refusing to physically turn off (it would always restart when I shut it down).

If you're on Win 10, definitely give this a shot, especially if you did a recent Windows Update that coincided with the problems, as well as looking for strange Win 7-oriented BIOS settings that could be causing issues.

August 19th, 2018 02:00

Hi, I have already tried to perform auto diagnostic but it finds no problems.

I have already set bios to default with no results.

There is a way to diagnostic if the bios is corrupted?

4 Operator

• 

754 Posts

August 20th, 2018 04:00

@marcolinux91 wrote:

- I tried to perform diagnositc boot by pressing "fn" + "power button" keys, and the battery led keeps blinking with white light (all the other leds are off).

I haven't  tried to change RAM module because i don't have one yet.

The battery LED flashing when you start the system this way indicates a memory issue:

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln309632/a-reference-guide-to-the-latitude-notebook-and-tablet-diagnostic-indicators?lang=en  (select the Legacy indicators)

If you don't have memory to swap, try putting the DIMM in the other slot and see if that makes any difference. If you get hold of known good memory and you still get the same issue, it looks like it's a motherboard issue.

Thanks.

1 Message

August 24th, 2018 13:00

Hi,

Have exactly the same issue with E7240. It started with installing win10 i guess. I noticed that is post when some certain untypical actions happen ex. i change RAM or if its overheated - gives a message about overheating/changing RAM and then post normally...

Olaf

205 Posts

September 6th, 2018 14:00

Yep, usually when you eliminate everything else, it always comes down to a motherboard issue.

No Events found!