Start a Conversation

Unsolved

J

4 Posts

October 7th, 2021 05:00

Dell 7420 slow boot after Bios Update

I have purchased a new 7420 laptop. I have installed all the latest drivers and updates, as well as the Bios. But after updating the Bios, the boot up from cold has become very slow. It is now taking almost a minute for the Dell logo to appear. I have set the SSD as priority in the Bios, but it seems to be the same. Is there anything that I can do?

4 Posts

October 7th, 2021 07:00

Yes, changed to that already, might have improved a bit, but not a lot, still takes at least 30sec.

4 Operator

• 

4K Posts

October 7th, 2021 07:00

Power ON the machine, tap F2 key on the startup Dell logo, it takes you to the BIOS screen. Move to "Boot" tab, Select "Boot list options" , change the option from "Legacy" to "UEFI".  Restart the machine, it should load fine to Windows. 

4 Posts

October 7th, 2021 10:00

I've been wrestling with that same issue yesterday afternoon and this morning. The Lat 7420 became very slow to get from a shut down condition just to the initial Dell circle logo, varying between 1-2 minutes. Once the Dell logo appeared it seemed to open Windows in the normal time. Initially I thought it was related to the dock it was connected to, but it did the same thing with another dock, or just plugged into the AC adapter. I also tried setting the SSD as a priority in the UEFI list, but that made no difference. Nor did any of the other BIOS settings I tried.

After searching and finding your question on the Dell Community, it prompted me to backdate the BIOS, which had been updated to the latest (1.9.6) at some point earlier. So I downloaded BIOS version 1.8.2 from the Dell Lat 7420 support site download page and after installation (for some reason that backdate didn't fully complete until after a second restart), the time it took it took for the Dell circle logo to appear from a fresh start was much quicker.

I then downloaded the next BIOS version, 1.9.3, and installed that, and the improvement still held. Then to confirm whether the issue might be related specifically to the latest BIOS update, I downloaded and installed the latest version (1.9.6) and immediately the time from pushing the On button to Dell circle logo increased to more than a minute. So I backdated to 1.9.3 and it's back to normal. You might try backdating yours to see if that improves the situation.

So it appears to NOT be related to any of the Windows settings or configuration, and at least in my case, is an issue with the latest Latitude 7420 BIOS (1.9.6). I have no idea whether this relates to all Lat 7420's or not, but I've got 2 more to provision in the next couple days, and I'll see if one or both are affected.

BK

PS- I registered for the Dell Community specifically to reply to this issue. Hope it helps.

1 Message

October 7th, 2021 11:00

I have experienced the same issue on a Dell Latitude 7420 after updating the BIOS to 1.9.6.

4 Posts

October 8th, 2021 04:00

I've confirmed the BIOS version 1.9.6 issue this morning with a brand new out of the box Lat 7320 and Lat 7420, both undocked and docked. The factory-installed BIOS was ver. 1.8.2 which was working normally. Simply updating to version 1.9.6 caused a >1 minute delay from startup to the Dell circle logo. One laptop was updated using Dell Command Update and the other from the Dell support downloads page. I've backdated to ver. 1.9.3, which seems to work fine.

Hopefully Dell monitors this type of issue and will come up with a new BIOS update.

BK

4 Posts

October 8th, 2021 07:00

Yes, thanks people! I just downgraded to 1.9.3 and it's booting fine now. Not sure what happened to the 1.9.6 bios, maybe it is searching for boot devices a bit too long?

• 

25.1K Posts

October 8th, 2021 07:00

We appreciate your efforts in performing the troubleshooting steps. Reflashing the BIOS to the same version should have made a difference, however, please keep the system under observation and do reach out to us in case you need any assistance. 

2 Posts

October 9th, 2021 05:00

Thanks so much for this, I also updated to 1.9.6 on a new machine and thought this thing was broken as I had not had much cold boot experience prior to updating (I.E I didn't pay attention as I was mainly running updates).

Thought I was going crazy with how long cold boot was taking... easily 30+ sec. I have now downgraded to 1.9.3 as per your suggestion and it's so much faster it's crazy, under 10s and I'm into Windows.

Dell needs to look into this! 

Thanks again!

October 10th, 2021 05:00

I have the same issue. Upgraded from the stock BIOS to 1.9.6 and notice about 2 to 3 minutes boot lag. Please fix this issue ASAP.

2 Posts

October 12th, 2021 10:00

My new latitude 7420 is too wery slow boot, and slow working. I don't undertand why. I just change it from 7390 and for some reason 7420 it's much sower. the same I7 and 16Gb RAM
I even have to wait for the letters to appear after typing. Maybe you can advise something

1 Message

October 13th, 2021 17:00

Same issie with dell 7320 on same new bios version. Please fix this

4 Posts

October 14th, 2021 07:00

After checking the support page for the 7420 just now, it looks like the latest version available for download is now ver. 1.9.3, and ver. 1.9.6 is not available.

So it looks like the development team is at least aware of a problem and maybe working on a fix.

4 Posts

October 14th, 2021 07:00

For anyone experiencing the slow to boot to the Dell logo issue on their Latitude 7320/7420, first confirm whether it is running the BIOS ver. 1.9.6, and if it is, try backdating to ver. 1.9.3 (there is a BIOS setting that allows backdating the BIOS to an earlier version, if it won't let you initially).

If you're already running 1.9.3 or earlier, and/or if Windows itself is running slow, that may be a separate issue.

Community Manager

• 

54.3K Posts

October 18th, 2021 10:00

Both of these are still under investigation.

Latitude 7320/7420/7520 slow boot with the now pulled BIOS 1.9.6. The workaround is to roll back to BIOS 1.9.3.

Latitude 7320/7420/7520 may experience blue screen issue when in idle or daily operation. The workaround is to turn C-State off in the BIOS- Performance.

October 20th, 2021 06:00

So I am not the only one.

No Events found!