Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 26th, 2019 16:00

Dell Latitude E6420 Charger Compatibility Questions

Hello everyone!

I have a question regarding what chargers will actually work with my Latitude E6420. About 4 months ago I purchased a new charger from dell on amazon that was rated 65 watts. (Part number:332-1831) Unfortunately, the charger died within the second day of use, where the light on the end of the connector faded away and wouldn't come back. Reluctantly I switched back to the sketchy Chinese charger that I got with the computer. But as of late I can no longer stand the high pitched whine of the charger and I am scared that it will damage my laptop and the new battery I bought. The charger I would love to upgrade to is a 90 watt of a similar model as I like the form factor and design rather than the block style of the Chinese charger. (Part number:450-AAYQ) And my question is will this actually work with my laptop? I need something reliable and would not like to purchase an off brand charger.

Thank you for your help everyone and I will be more than happy to answer any questions about the system.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

July 26th, 2019 18:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @Jimbob95 

This can apply to all laptops.

Look on the bottom of your laptop. "Maybe under the battery"

There you will find the laptops power requirements.

Look for the Voltage and the Amps 19.5V ~ 4.62A/6.7A 

Electronics 101  Volts x Amps = Watts  " V x A = W "

What is your laptops power requirements???

Best regards,

U2

5 Posts

I am indeed looking to purchase only genuine chargers. As for the part numbers they were directly from the product page on dells website.

90 Watt charger: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/450-aayq

65 Watt charger that failed: https://www.dell.com/en-us/work/shop/accessories/apd/332-1831

4 Operator

• 

5.6K Posts

Not familiar with any of the part numbers you mention. Are they actually Dell part numbers?

The only reliable charger to buy is a genuine Dell charger purchased from Dell if you are that particular.

5 Posts

July 26th, 2019 20:00

Hello @U2CAMEB4ME !

On the bottom of my laptop under the battery the input says 19.5V 3.34A/4.62A

I am not sure on the output of the 90 watt charger as they do not list those specifications. I am a little perplexed by the dual rating in amps on the laptop.

Using the neat VxA=W trick you provided shows that (my guess) the laptop can support the 90 watt charger.

Thank you for answering!

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

July 26th, 2019 21:00

@Jimbob95 

The 19.5V ~ 4.62A "90" watt AC would be for a few things. 

If you have a 9 cell battery, discrete GPU, WWAN the type of LCD???

You could use a 130/150 Watt AC and it would work perfectly. 

You can go higher with the wattage but never go lower than what is listed on your laptop.

You have a "SMART" power system and the AC would only provide the Wattage that is needed.

Best regards,

U2

No Events found!