Start a Conversation

Unsolved

AR

18 Posts

January 8th, 2019 08:00

Dell Latitude E6540 High CPU+GPU Temps.

Hi! Recently I have bought used Dell Latitude E6540. Specs Core i7-4800mq 4GB RAM 500GB HDD 2GB AMD Radeon 8790m After few days I've installed HWmonitor to check the temps. When I play games like csgo etc. The CPU and GPU temperatures gets 95-98C. Is my laptop is running hotter than it should be while gaming? If it is than what should I do. I have tried to clean up the fan but the problem remained. Thanks In Advance.

January 11th, 2019 03:00

Hello Abdul Raheem 19,

Update the BIOS from here. Restart the system and tap F2 to go into BIOS. Expand System logs and clear all the logs.

Restart the system and press F12 key on startup - choose diagnostics. Let it run the diagnostics and if you encounter any errors - make a note of the complete error and report the same to us. These are onboard diagnostics and they might possibly pick some error if the hardware is not functional.

Should you require any further details, please click my DELL-username and write me a private message with the service tag and your Name for case records.

January 14th, 2019 04:00

Thanks for your reply and sorry for the late reply. I have updated the bios from that link, cleared all the system logs and ran diagnostics it showed me that my laptop battery is reaching the end of its life and no other errors were found.

Yesterday I've played CSGO for 3.5 hours and my laptop's maximum reached temps were:

99°C CPU, 92°C AMD GPU, 90°C Intel GPU. Is it harmful for my laptop or not and if its harmful then what should I do?

Thanks In Advance.

January 15th, 2019 02:00

Hello Abdul Raheem 19,

Overheating is a matter of concern when other symptoms start to show. You may receive error messages related to air temperature or fan or system shutdowns. The temperature can also be a result of environmental factors. Use compressed air to clean the vents on a regular basis.

Go through the article here for more information and in case you need to contact the out of warranty team, use the contact us button at the bottom of the page.

January 15th, 2019 04:00

Thanks For Your Reply.

Just tell me one last thing that how much heat my laptop can handle without loosing performance and lifespan.

January 16th, 2019 00:00

Hello,

The temperatures you are seeing are higher than what we would consider standard temperatures. Do you see similar temperatures with other applications? I would suggest you try the below steps. If you see no difference after these steps, consider replacing hardware(motherboard and heatsink). 

1. Update the video drivers. Intel and AMD.

2. Dedicate AMD to CS:GO and check if that makes any difference. Follow the steps suggested in the solution here.

3. Contact the out of warranty team for hardware replacement if the above fail.

January 23rd, 2019 08:00

Thanks for your reply I've tried the switching graphics card method but didn't worked and there was no updates available for my graphics cards. I've suspect on something called Dell Power Manager. Is that could be the problem. I'm using the ultra performance power plan. Thanks In Advance

1 Message

February 28th, 2020 00:00

Laptop with two fan is better than one fan , not overheating like one fan.

Alternatives

Dell m4800, m6800

No Events found!