1 Copper

Dell WD19 Docking station

Jump to solution

I have 2 older model flat panel monitors, a Dell 1905FP and an HP L1945w. I have the provided DVI and VGA connectors, but these do not work with the new Dell Docking station I am now using with my Latitude 5400. It's a Dell WD-19 and doesn't have the slots needed for those connectors. I need guidance on what I need to buy in order to connect these monitors to the new docking station.

1 Solution

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
6 Gallium

Re: Dell WD19 Docking station

Jump to solution

@KLNBPT  unfortunately images uploaded here are initially only visible to the person who uploaded them and to Dell moderators, until they get approved for broader viewing -- so as of this writing I can't see what you've posted.  But this link is an example of a suitable item, and the image shows the connectors on each end so you can see what the cable should look like.

View solution in original post

5 Replies
Highlighted
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

Both of those displays have DVI inputs, and since VGA is the only analog display connector left, while DVI and all other display connectors these days are digital, that means VGA doesn't look as good as anything else.  So I would recommend ditching VGA and using DVI with both displays instead.  The image should be a bit sharper.  To that end, I would buy a pair of DisplayPort to DVI cables and call it a day.  They're not very expensive or particularly difficult to find.

Or considering that you have a shiny new system and dock that you're trying to pair with a pair of old displays, one of which isn't even widescreen, it might be worth considering new displays.  You might be surprised how much more productive you can be with even a pair of 24" 1080p displays, which aren't very expensive especially if you buy them used.  The extra display real estate does make a huge difference.

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

@jphughanthank you for the quick response! Is this the correct item?

Annotation.png

Thanks again!

Highlighted
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

@KLNBPT  unfortunately images uploaded here are initially only visible to the person who uploaded them and to Dell moderators, until they get approved for broader viewing -- so as of this writing I can't see what you've posted.  But this link is an example of a suitable item, and the image shows the connectors on each end so you can see what the cable should look like.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
1 Copper

Jump to solution

@jphughanPerfect - thank you so very much!

Highlighted
6 Gallium

Jump to solution

@KLNBPT  happy to help!  By the way, the image you uploaded finally came through.  That's an adapter rather than a cable, so if you buy the adapter, you'll also need DVI cables.  The product I suggested is a full cable, so with that option you wouldn't need anything else.  If the adapter you found is cheaper than the cable I found AND you already have two DVI cables you can use with those adapters, then you can go that route.  Otherwise I'd recommend just getting a full cable that already has the correct connectors for your purposes on each end.