Highlighted
1 Copper

Ethernet Port Stuck

Hi,

I boguht a Latitude 7480 and the ethernet port has a flap.

I put a RJ45 cable in the laptop and when i tried to remove it it was stuck.

I pull off so hard that i think i will broke the port.

How can i fix it and remove the cable?

Here an image of the laptop port: IMAGE LINK

Thanks in advance

0 Kudos
10 Replies
Highlighted
Community Manager
Community Manager

Re: Ethernet Port Stuck

diegoacquani,

Did you push down on the connector tab to remove the cable? You may want to bring it to a local computer store to see if they can remove it for you.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have the same problem. it's different from usual ethernet ports.

the cable doesn't come out by just press and pull the plastic part of it.

how did you remove the cable?

0 Kudos
Highlighted
7 Gold

I'm using a Latitude 7480 right now and just tested various Ethernet cables.  I do not have this problem.  If the cables you're using have snagless boots, then those are trickier to remove in general because if the plastic for the boot hardens, it becomes much harder to press down on the plastic clip that the boot covers, but with typical Ethernet cables, the hinged Ethernet port on the 7480 works the same way as every other port -- pinch the plastic clip tightly and pull the cable out.  Worst case, while pinching the clip, try pressing the connector upward toward the top of the laptop (or downward in the orientation of the photo that you posted), but it should not require a lot of force at all to retract.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I have had the same problem twice now with the same laptop you have. Had to take the back off to get the LAN cord out. This is a design flaw in this laptop. I won’t Buy a laptop again with the LAN socket in this position. Dell should just admit they made a mistake here. 

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

I agree, we have tons of these 7480's and it is a PITA when instructing the user to unplug the LAN cable, only to be met with "I can't".

It has nothing to do with the snagless boots either, does it with any cable, plus the new docking stations suffer from the same problem!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
1 Copper

There are many posts on this topic, both within this forum and on the web. We just purchased several Latitude 5580s and immediately experienced this problem, the cable locked in the ethernet port. This occurs everytime, with every cable. Wouldn't be such a big deal with a stationary PC but this is a laptop. In 20 years of experience with many laptops I may have experienced this once, due to a broken cable connector. This appears to be a class problem with the port and needs to be addressed as such by Dell.

0 Kudos
Highlighted
8 Xenon

A flat Jewelers screwdriver inserted under the area where the press latch is on with gentle tug of the cable will release it even if the tab is broken.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6KJ0PPAy3OQ

Report Unresolved Customer Service Issues
here

I do not work for Dell. I too am a user.

The forum is primarily user to user, with Dell employees moderating
Contact USA Technical Support

Get Support on Twitter @DellCaresPro

Highlighted
1 Copper

I also had an ethernet cable stuck in the port of my Latitude 7480.  I'm very familiar with how to release the locking tab on an ethernet cable, but it would not work in this case.  I followed the suggestion of pushing the head a small screwdriver over the top of the cord release tab as I pressed it, and it finally released my cable.

Good thing I wasn't traveling and had access to a small screwdriver!

0 Kudos
Highlighted
6 Indium

Unplug the system, disconnect the battery and use a thin object or needle-nosed pliers to ease the plug out.  DO NOT do this with power applied - disconnect AC and the battery first.

You'll then have to evaluate what's broken - and replace it.  If the port itself is broken, you'll need to replace the system board (or use a USB Ethernet adapter to bypass the broken one).  If it's part of the case that's broken, you'll need to replace the top or bottom assembly, whichever is broken.  In either case, the investment in the part (system board) or labor (the case assembly will be cheap;  the labor to replace it,not so) will be high.

0 Kudos