Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

M

5 Posts

March 26th, 2020 15:00

IPV4 option missing on Boot Menu

Hello.  I have a Dell 7400 laptop.  I am not able to PXE boot this device.   When I press F12 I do not see any IPV4 or IPV6 menu options.   I do not see then in the BIOS either.    I have following this Dell link but so far nothing works.   https://www.dell.com/support/article/en-us/sln317555/bios-settings-to-allow-pxe-boot-on-newer-model-dell-latitude-laptops?lang=en

more background.  I am not using a TB dock.  I am using a dongle.    In the BIOS I have:

Enable UEFI Network Stack 'on'     enable w/PXE is 'on'

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 26th, 2020 16:00

@mqh777  PXE booting requires that the system have firmware-level support for the specific network adapter you're trying to use, otherwise the situation would be a bit like trying to use a piece of hardware without a suitable driver, which of course doesn't work.  That means that third-party adapters are unlikely to work, and even some older Dell adapters might not work with newer systems.  This one would likely do the job.  The Latitude 7400 isn't explicitly listed in the Compatibility tab, but the relatively recent Latitude 7480 is, and it's not uncommon for Dell not to update the Compatibility tab to include system models introduced after the accessory itself.

5 Posts

March 26th, 2020 16:00

Thanks but how would that new adapter have anything to do with my BIOS boot menu?    When I boot up this 7400 and go into the BIOS then under Boot Sequence I do not see IPV4 or IPV6.     I have restored to factory settings and I still don't see the IPV4 boot menu.   I have tried both with secure boot on and off.  I have tried with UEFI on and off.   No matter what I do when you press F12 you never see the IPV4/6.   What causes that?  

9 Legend

• 

14K Posts

March 26th, 2020 17:00

I suspect that the reason you're not seeing those options is because the system isn't detecting any hardware that would be necessary to use those options.  That's definitely the case with the F12 boot menu, because the options listed there are populated dynamically based on the devices (or in the case of UEFI booting from local storage devices, bootloader files) that the system detects at that point in time.  I admit I'm a bit surprised that you don't see the options even in the BIOS Setup, but again I think it's probably because the system isn't finding any network adapters that it can use for PXE booting, so it's hiding options that you can't currently use.

1 Message

December 8th, 2020 16:00

Hello. Not sure if you're still having this issue, but I had the exact same problem. I found following the instructions from your link in step 4 you also have to check the "Enable Thunderbolt Boot Support" box, and after that the PXE options appear in the one-time boot menu.

1 Message

November 2nd, 2023 11:33

@cklarner​ Thank you so much! I had the same problem in 9510, but I did resolve it with your help.

(edited)

No Events found!