Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

October 21st, 2019 13:00

Latitude 5300 is not compatible with TB16 dock

Hello,

I am trying to get my new Latitude 5300 to work with my TB16 dock. I have the dock connected to ethernet, power and two monitors. When plugging in the dock to the laptop, only the power gets through; there is no ethernet and the displays do not work. According to the "System Compatibility Matrix for the TB16," the Latitude 5300 is compatible with a 180W AC Adapter. I've bought a 180W AC Adapter but it still does not work. I have also tried using a different TB16 dock with the original Latitude 5300. I have also tried using a different Latitude 5300 with the original TB16 dock. I have also tried a different Latitude 5300 with a WD15 dock which works fine. 

I have tried going to the laptop's drivers page to update my Thunderbolt Controller Driver. The install goes through and says it was successful, the logs say that no previous drivers were found and installs. When I try to install the same file again, the logs also say that no previous drivers were found. Why are the previous drivers that I just installed not detected?

In order to run the Thunderbolt Firmware Update Utility from the laptop's drivers page, the Controller Driver needs to be installed. The firmware update states that the controller driver has not been installed when I try to run it after "installing" the controller driver.

The last Thunderbolt related item in the laptop's drivers page is the Thunderbolt Controller Application. This download simply redirects me to the Thunderbolt Control Center app on the Microsoft Store. This app does not download/install, whenever I try to download it, it just says "Error." The app has 1.5 stars on the store and all the one-star reviewers say that they can't install the app either.

Is there anything that Dell can do about this compatibility issue?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

October 21st, 2019 15:00

@Nitop  if you go to the product page for the Latitude 5300 here and jump down to the "Ports & Slots" section, the description of the USB-C port is as follows (emphasis mine): "USB Type C™ 3.1 Gen 2 with Power Delivery & DisplayPort (Optional Thunderbolt™3)".  Are you certain that the Thunderbolt 3 option was ordered for your Latitude 5300 system(s)?  All of the behavior you've described is consistent with what I would expect if you tried to use Thunderbolt devices and install Thunderbolt drivers and firmware updates on a system that didn't actually have Thunderbolt.  One way to check is to go into the BIOS Setup and find the Thunderbolt Configuration section.  If you go there and you can check/uncheck the checkboxes and change radio button selections, you have Thunderbolt.  If all options in that section are grayed out, then you don't have Thunderbolt and therefore won't be able to use peripherals that require Thunderbolt, like the TB16 -- except for charging the system, which just uses regular USB Power Delivery.  The WD15 would work because it only uses regular USB-C with DisplayPort Alt Mode, which is standard on the Latitude 5300.

No Events found!