Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

July 8th, 2021 09:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Latitude 5420/7420/7520 CPU Throttling Issue on Linux

Hi there!

I have Latitude 7520 laptop with i7-1185g7 and this model has a huge problem with CPU throttling.

Besides this model users report that 5420/7420 models affected too.

This laptops have a two issues:

1. Throttling to 400mhz after running power-intensive workloads for a short amount of time -- which caused by incorrect work of legacy interface. This issue can be resolved by blacklisting "intel_rapl_msr" module or install intel/thermald v2.4.6
  2. The same issue but cpu stuck on 1800mhz -- it is another issue and currently I haven't any idea how resolve it. Looks like something from firmware locks CPU power.

Message from Intel developer(pls see here) :

The problem is that TMEM sensor reaches its limits of 42C in 4 seconds, so the system is throttled from max power. Even at the start the temperature is 39C. So not much margin. Not
sure what can be done here

So I am trying to find and solve this problem. Maybe someone from Dell can help. A lot of users buy Latitude laptops for work with Linux and as I can see Dell sells linux version of this laptops.

What I see currently:

• In Windows it works correctly(3.3-4.8ghz on max load)
  • Latest mainline kernel(`5.13.0-1-mainline`) doesn't fix it
  • Latest bios doesn't fix it(1.7.1 for my laptop)
  • It depends on laptop vendor. I have MSI laptop with the same i7-1185g7 and it works properly, one difference is: Dell show "base_frequency" as 1800mhz, MSI as 3000mhz. Maybe it's related
  • Load/Unload modules, disabling intel_pstate, tune tdp limits, changing thermal mode(quiet,cool,balanced,performance) doesn't affect this problem

Related links:

I will be very appreciated if someone help me to resolve this issue. Thanks!

4 Posts

February 8th, 2022 03:00

Please provide Ubuntu Image for 7420 as well.

35 Posts

February 8th, 2022 04:00

Interestingly, this is different behaviour to me (7320) where I get straight to 1800MHz and Temperatures are never above ~55°C.

21 Posts

February 8th, 2022 04:00

I'm currently using the Dell image, provided to me by one of the technicians, and the results are the same. Same throttling happening, all documented in these videos as shown previously:

Test 1 - https://youtu.be/SFMsmwPKaCM - No peripherals, laptop on the desk, BIOS thermal management in "Optimized"
Test 2 - Not uploaded, video file corrupted.
Test 3 - https://youtu.be/Ox9yV1aEuKE - No peripherals, laptop at 45 degree in a support, same BIOS thermal management
Test 4 - https://youtu.be/onqIwKh89rw - Showing the physical setup, with all peripherals, throttling early
Test 5 - https://youtu.be/0Q8tcv4SHOk - All peripherals connected, BIOS thermal management to "Ultra Performance"

I reckon a better response would be to provide a link for the users to download the proper Dell Ubuntu image. Is this something you can do ?

• 

25.1K Posts

February 8th, 2022 05:00

Thank you for reaching out to us. We’d be glad to look into this for you right away. Before we proceed, we strongly recommend that you remove the Service Tag from the public post for security reasons. Also, as our interaction would involve sharing personally identifiable information, please private message us so that we can start working toward a resolution.

31 Posts

Is it possible to get an official Dell image for a 5420?  When I go to the Support section of Dell website, the only downloads it offers for my service tag are two versions of Windows 10.  Thanks!

21 Posts

A pattern that seems to be appearing is that i7's throttles to 1800Mhz, and i5's to 1400Mhz. Mine is an i5.

3 Posts

February 8th, 2022 10:00

On a Del Latitude 7420, I have the same issue where only Windows available for download at the support section when I input my service tag.

I will gladly test the OEM image as well, but it seems a Dell support person already tested the OEM image and found the same problems there.

31 Posts

February 9th, 2022 05:00

Hi Chris M-

On the official Dell support site, the operating system restore images that are available for download are constrained by what was provided on a particular service tag.  My Latitude was provided with Windows 10, so the only images available to me are Windows images.  I will send you a PM with my service tag to see if you can determine how I can get an Ubuntu image.

Thanks!

1 Message

February 9th, 2022 07:00

Latitude model

7420 with i7-1185G7

BIOS version installed

Version of Linux

Oracle Linux 8 (RHEL 8 based). Kernel: 5.16.3-1.el8.elrepo.x86_64

Is the issue also happening with Windows operating system?

Not Known

What were you doing when the issue happened?

Issue happens when more than 1 core runs at > 3 GHz for about a minute. I can recreate using the stress tool

Is it OOB (out of box - first time running/setting operational system) issue?

Yes

What troubleshooting have you done?

Tried a number of different Kernels, also tried Centos 9 stream and updated thermald. 

2 Posts

February 11th, 2022 07:00

Super tired of Dell's lack of communication and transparency, new hardware restrictions policies in favour of Windows interests... 

I own a latitude 5420 which it would be a great machine if it wouldn't have the ACPI modes hardcoded to S0 and also these cpu throttling issues because propetary driver and mindset. 

I'm moving to lenovo with amd under the hood! good luck

21 Posts

February 12th, 2022 11:00

My warranty is being consumed while this is not resolved. I'm not sure how Dell is going to handle this, but I'm very worried that we've got no actual response from Dell so far.

7 Posts

February 13th, 2022 21:00

This issue is not just a minor inconvenience or feeling short-changed for specs:

Every day I am wasting several minutes waiting for a slow compilation. I am actively discouring people/colleagues from buying Dell laptops for software development.

31 Posts

February 15th, 2022 09:00

@DELL-Chris M Thank you for doing this investigation.  Is there some Executive management within the product team that you can escalate this to?  The product team's response tells us all one thing: "Dell doesn't actually want to solve the problems their customers are having, they are only willing to do what is contractually obligated of them."

There is NO reason to restrict the Ubuntu image.  It's all open source so there are no licensing issues.

There is NO reason to refuse to work with people who are working on an officially supported configuration who can provide valuable insight into actually solving the problem.  This is especially the case when Dell would be getting thousands (tens of thousands?) of dollars worth of free labor by doing so.

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

February 15th, 2022 09:00

It was escalated. The product team dictated to all the policy stance.

2 Posts

February 16th, 2022 00:00

Honestly guys, just don't keep trying to "fix" this by ourselves with Dell CM's and/or devs. We are all at the same page, trying to collaborate since this is our way to go (open source mindset), but is just, not seeming to work with Dell at this point.

I've been having my 5420 for a year, almost since it was released, whilst I've been waiting patiently for Dell devs to react, listen and develop fixes for the battery drains due to S0 ACPI, the CPU throttle issue, what I've seen is the BIOS updates being mainly focused for Windows, propetrary drivers that doesn't get update, etc... 

It's pretty clear that Dells doesn't care too much about Linux/Open Source community. Seeing how W11 has been released (TPM 2.0, CPU restrictions, etc...), this new mindset where Dell hardcodes basic ACPI options (a tech from the 90's...) w/o giving you the ability to freely choose what best suits your needs, closing source for an opensource based OS (Ubuntu Dell's ISO), because what? I guess business deals? 

My point here is not about nuking this thread, which has been proven pretty useless from Dell's perspective, my point here is to make you guys realize that Dell will most probably only realize things and hopefully change direction when they start losing sales. That's how, sadly, things works almost every time... 

No Events found!