Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

November 22nd, 2018 06:00

Latitude 5420 Dell install

I'm putting this together for my grandson. It was given to me by work who wiped dell's partition. I put Win 7 Pro on it, which it was shipped with. I then got a Dell install disk so I could go back to factory setting. Thing is with Win 7  Dell support assistant worked fine. Since reinstalling Dell, which I did from within Win 7, not via boot support assist starts and says error try again or just stays  on forever. One other thing Dell reinstall left an unknown device in device manager, pity I didn't note what was in original Win 7 install. 

3 Posts

November 23rd, 2018 06:00

It seems that update that wouldn't install is connected to support assistant. During install it says it requires net 4.7.2 and installs a Dell version. Microsoft update sees it as a file error and the update fails. Solution uninstall all net 4.7.2 and use an offline version of net 4.7.2. The update from Microsoft will then install. Then get Dell's "no IT business version of support assistant, which will ask to repair your just installed Microsoft version and then it works. The unknown device was Freefall.. 

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

November 22nd, 2018 08:00

So from what I can gather Windows 7 Pro was installed without a problem. But problems started when Dell Support Assist was installed. Have you thought about Redoing the process, that is install Win 7 Pro again but leave Support Assist out of the process (not a fan of SA at all). Then using the tag number on the system, manually download the appropriate drivers. The sequence of install follows on the support page. Leave Dell software alone like Smartbyte, SA, etc. Just get the drivers you need. And the unknown device could be a chipset related error if the drivers were not installed. Another approach, since I assume you have the Win 7 Pro key, is to clean install Windows 7 Pro.

Windows 7 media creation tool...

https://www.microsoft.com/en-ca/software-download/windows7

Driver install order...

https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/19/sln148687/how-to-install-dell-drivers-in-the-correct-order?lang=en

3 Posts

November 23rd, 2018 06:00

Thanks I want it on to buy a year of warranty from Dell for my grandson. This is going to be his lerning machine. Dell want their propriety os on to get it. 

No Events found!