Start a Conversation

Unsolved

A

7 Posts

August 18th, 2021 03:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Latitude 5480 TPM Device Not Detected Error

Hi,

We are having issues with several 5480 laptops giving the error "Alert! TPM device is not detected" on start up.

This has started on all these laptops after updating the bios to the latest version. 

We have tried many troubleshooting techniques but nothing shows in the bios settings to disable/enable it, TPM cant be found with in the windows utility and PowerShell says "The Device Is Not Ready" when running any TPM related command

If anyone has a fix for this or Dell can fix this issue in the next BIOS update that would be appreciated. 

Many Thanks

Ashley Foster

Corporate IT Apprentice at ESG GLOBAL

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

August 18th, 2021 05:00

This support page may help. Dell is also in the process of issuing firmware for TPM 1.2 to 2.0. This coincides with the Windows 11 launch. Your 5480 systems may be on the edge of the possible upgrade as I believe you have generation 7 CPUs and MS looks to be changing the system requirement from generation 8 to 7. This page may be of interest as well.

August 18th, 2021 06:00

Thanks for your reply JOcean,

We have tried the troubleshooting tips in that 1st support page and none of them worked

We have also tried downloading TPM 1.2 and 2.0 firmware from the Website but both give and error when installing. The 1st error is "Error: The System TPM Query Failed, Aborting" and the 2nd is "Error: Unable to prepare the TPM update payload."

Many Thanks

Ashley Foster

Corporate IT Apprentice at ESG GLOBAL

August 18th, 2021 08:00

There is no option to enable or disable PTT in the BIOS

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

August 18th, 2021 08:00

Just a guess but seeing that you have Intel CPUs, is PTT enabled in the BIOS?

7 Technologist

• 

12K Posts

August 18th, 2021 18:00

Are the systems in UEFI or Legacy boot mode? I have to assume they are UEFI. More information, I have loads of that, can be found here.

August 19th, 2021 01:00

yes they are is UEFI boot mode.

I've attached some images that should help explain the situation more

TPM ERROR.jpgThe Error we are getting in the 1st place

TPM BIOS NO-min.jpgThis is the bios options we can see, there are no options under security for TPM or PTT

TPM PROGRAM ERROR-min.jpgError within the windows utility

TPM POWERSHELL-min.jpgPowershell showing TPM as false

TPM INSTALL ERROR 1-min.jpgThis is the 1st error when trying to install TPM 2.0 or 1.2

TPM INSTALL ERROR 2-min.jpgand this is the 2nd error when trying to install TPM 2.0 or 1.2

Hopefully this helps demonstrate the issues here a bit more

162 Posts

August 19th, 2021 03:00

Hello Ashley,

same prob shows up here after the BIOS update.
We solved the prob with downgrade to BIOS 1.17.1
At 1.17.1 we disabled TPM in BIOS, updated to latest BIOS 1.20.2
and enabled TPM again after the BIOS update.

HTH

Peter

August 19th, 2021 04:00

Just tried this downgrading to 1.17.1 but no change, options still doesn't show in bios

2 Posts

November 21st, 2021 10:00

Did you manage to fix this issue. We've got the same issue on a Dell Latitude 5480

November 22nd, 2021 01:00

Nope. I believe this issue is being ignored by Dell. Not sure why

November 22nd, 2021 03:00

I have tried both fixes to no solution. I think it just needs a bios patch as it doesn't support the TPM device for some reason but ive been waiting for the patch for months.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2021 00:00

Hello, same problem here Latitude 5480 and "Alert! TPM device is not detected". I assume it happened in short time after BIOS upgrade. Shutting down device, unplugging power cable and pressing power key for a long time don't change anything. I'm thinking about removing battery and retry long power key press but I doubt it help, rather BIOS update messed up.

3 Posts

December 21st, 2021 01:00

Ok guys I did what I said, remove back, unplug battery, press power for let's say 25s and voila. Issue fixed TPM is back. Try it.

3 Posts

January 24th, 2022 05:00

After last BIOS update TPM again disappeared. This time I reset BIOS settings by holding power button for 31 s this also did the trick, TPM is back but I have to set all BIOS settings manually, so before that action it's good to make photos of settings.

No Events found!