Start a Conversation

Unsolved

M

6 Posts

August 26th, 2018 11:00

Latitude E6410 Windows 10

Earlier this year I purchased a Latitude E6410 from an authorized Windows refurbisher.  It came with Windows 10 installed.  I activated it with Microsoft with the Windows Refurbished activation number from the sticker on it.

I don't have a lot of Apps installed on it and just will use it occasionally, particularly when traveling.  Last year I bought a new Inspiron 3668 with SupportAssist on it, which works fine, to replace my old HP with Windows 10 on it which blew up beyond recovery.  My question concerning the E6410 is, does this system fully support Windows 10?  It did not have SupportAssist on it, so I logged into the Dell website, went to Diagnostics, let it identify the E6410 and install SupportAssist.  It said I needed two driver updates, the System Bios Version A17 as "urgent" and the System Bios A10 as "recommended.

When I click on "Install", the Status column says, "Loading" on both of them, but no download window ever opens and apparently nothing ever actually downloads.  I have uninstalled SupportAssist and reinstalled it a couple of times.  It does the same thing.  It seems I saw somewhere on this forum something about the E6410 not being able to handle A10.  

Does anybody know anything about this?  Also, is this a good system to even have Windows 10 on, despite the fact that this is what the refurbisher installed on it?

Any help or advice will be greatly appreciated!

• 

16.7K Posts

August 27th, 2018 04:00

morens,

The latitude e6410 is not supported with Windows 10 through Dell. There are no Windows 10 drivers from Dell for the latitude e6410. That doesn't mean it will not work on the computer.

6 Posts

August 27th, 2018 06:00

Jesse, thank you for the response.  Is it worthwhile to run SupportAssist, or should I look for other options to stay on top of things?  I have a utility called Slimware DriverUpdate.

5.6K Posts

August 27th, 2018 19:00

@morens wrote:

Jesse, thank you for the response.  Is it worthwhile to run SupportAssist, or should I look for other options to stay on top of things?  I have a utility called Slimware DriverUpdate.

I have the E6400. Never used SupportAssist. Windows 10 seems to work fine.

BIOS updated to the latest version.

Not sure what is your concern.

6 Posts

August 27th, 2018 20:00

Thank you for your response.  Well, my concern was that when using the Dell utility SupportAssist, it seems that Dell is telling me I need one BIOS driver urgently, and another BIOS driver as recommended.  When I try to download them through SupportAssist, it bombs on me.  Other than that,  mine also seems to work fine with Windows 10.  I would like to get an answer from Dell as to whether I should even bother running SupportAssist, because it is telling me I need something on the Latitude 6400 which it is not capable of running under Windows 10.  I understand what Jesse said above, that Dell does not support Windows 10 on this laptop.  

P.S. Edit:  I mentioned briefly on my initial post that I had bought a new Dell Inspiron 3668 a year ago to replace my old HP desktop that crashed and burned with Windows 10.  You might find this story interesting (or maybe not!).  The HP is about the same age as the 6400.  I bought it refurbished also three years ago to replace a 2008 Compaq which would no longer even execute a BIOS bootstrap.  I got power on and no screen at all and no indication of any disk activity.  The HP came from the refurbisher with Windows 7 Pro.  It worked fine.  However, when a friend mentioned that MS was giving free upgrades to W10, I got the bug.  Long story short, it was terrible.  Took forever to download and install, I mean with multiple errors.  It never ran right after that.  After the final W10 crash and burn, I just used the new Inspiron 3668 after buying it new.  After a while I got itchy about the HP, did a clean install of W10.  It essentially ran a lot better except for not waking from sleep.  Again, long story short, I recovered W7 on a new ISO burn disk and did another clean install.  It is running better than ever now, and I use it for an extra computer.  At least the Dell Latitude 6410 does not exhibit any unusual problems with W10 and does seem to run pretty good.

1 Message

October 23rd, 2018 04:00

Can't get touch pad to work.

5.6K Posts

October 23rd, 2018 13:00

@wbritt wrote:

Can't get touch pad to work.

Works for me on Windows 10 Pro 64-bit  v1803 installed on E6400.

What have you done/tried?

1 Message

June 28th, 2019 02:00

but my dell latitude e6410 is support windows 10 pro. my country[Indonesia]

247 Posts

June 28th, 2019 07:00

I think its best to reboot PC after installing Support Assistant before checking for updates. Windows 10 on its own does a decent job updating drivers but many times it does need OEM drivers installed as baseline to install further updates. I personally don't use Support Assistant and simply download and install the drivers myself. Best way is download all driver updates and then disconnect from internet and install each one and reboot. Then reconnect to internet. That way Windows won't activate its own updates. Older models generally drop off from Dell verifying compatibility with Windows 10 releases. That doesn't mean Windows 10 isn't going to work it just means Dell is not testing that version or providing driver support anymore. Although Windows may provide functional drivers that work fine they are more a generic driver not a OEM one. 

6 Posts

June 28th, 2019 15:00

Thanks for that very cogent answer!

17 Posts

December 14th, 2020 14:00

You can download the BIOS updates from the website directly.  

Do to www.dell.com/support put in your service tag and it should show you the BIOS update.  You only need the most recent one.

March 14th, 2021 17:00

Well i have a Dell latitude E6410 with windows 10 on it and it works fine except once it kept showing me you have a virus so i did some stuff in Windows security otherwise nothing bad happened

No Events found!