Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

January 1st, 2019 10:00

Latitude E6440 Questions

Hello all, I just purchased a Latitude E6440, with 256GB SSD, 16GB RAM, 2.9Ghz i7 (4th Gen) processor, and I was wondering if anyone has used this or similar laptop for Video editing chores? I know that the video acrd cannot be upgraded as there is no slot for an external acrd, bu I'm hoping to be able to do at least basic rough "in-the-field" video editing on this machine...Has any one had any experience with this configuration machine with that? Also, is 16 GB the max RAM, or can I shoehorn 32 GB into ;this machine? That would certainly help, I'm thinking...Finally, if any one can recommend any system tweaks, or performance tricks for this machine, I can probably put to good use every last Hz of operformance taht I can wring out of the hardware for my video editing chores...I tend to shoot in 4k, which compklicates things a bit, but I can always "Ingest" my media files into Adobe Premiere as lower resolution "Proxy" files for editing, then let it apply my edits to the original 4k files, which is what I've done with slower i5 machines, and it's worked ok...hopefully this one willperform a step up over that machine, which I'm thinking it should...

I very much appreciate any comments, tips, information you folkjs could give me with this, thank you very much, in advance, for your help on these questions!

Cheers, and Happy New Year, all!

Bill Wilkinson

(SudioBill1)

49 Posts

January 3rd, 2019 02:00

First of all, the 6440 support up to 16 Gb RAM max (see Dell technical specifications).

Let me first say that I don't have experience using Premiere CC for video editing, but I do support the software in our company for those employees that do. On paper, the 6440 is on the lower end of the specs spectrum for editing 4k (see Adobe's recommended specs for 4k editing). However, the performance of Adobe's software greatly increases with CPU speed, disk speed and supported graphics card, as the software can use those hundreds of graphic cores to boost performance. As the E6440 probably has an Intel onboard graphics controller of some sort, you will be able to use it to your advantage by configuring the software to use it to boost performance. Just make sure you use the latest drivers! The SSD will help, but 256 Gb will fill up quickly. What I do worry about is the performance of your 4th gen CPU. It's 2 generations behind the minimum requirements for using Premiere Pro. This will probably be the biggest bottleneck.

To conclude this: Premiere Pro will probably work and you can edit your 4k video, but the user experience will not be the best it can be. Just one way to find out: try it.

Good luck!

Mark

No Events found!