Start a Conversation

Unsolved

H

8 Posts

June 21st, 2018 13:00

Major Latitude 7390 problems

Hello All,

Ive come to see if anyone else has any issues with the 7390s we recently bought a Lot of 30 of them and even more recently another Lot of 40.  Well for the past month we probably have had at least two a week fail.  Ive been opening up support cases for each one and it seems like the mobo needs replaced everytime one of them fails.  

Well after opening up cases on the most recent two I decided to take a closer look at the board it seems like the same chip is burning up on both the toasted laptops I have in my posession at the moment.  Im not sure how closely Dell support looks at this site but this is a serious issue.

I run a small shop so dealing with two laptop failures a week along with this happening the same time my windows 10 migration is happening has been really taxing. 

Also the main equalizer seems that they are all failing when on the thunderbolt dock.  We have filtered and stable power so power is also not the problem. 

IC thats burning upIC thats burning upICs location relative to the rest of the boardICs location relative to the rest of the board

1 Message

October 18th, 2018 09:00

5 x 7390's received 3 weeks ago, and we just got 5 more delivered last week...

3 have had issues

1 x bad SSD

1x bad screen, lights came on, no screen

1x the fried resistor

3 for 5...not a good ratio Dell...

Bad screen and resistor were both using Thunderbolt docks.

This is a clear problem and appears it can be reproduced easily so Dell needs to make this a priority to resolve before a major incident occurs.

resistor.PNG

3 Posts

November 5th, 2018 00:00

Have a Latitude 7390 2-in-1 with i7 and ThunderBolt dock. Screen becomes black frequently when used as tablet.

5 Posts

November 7th, 2018 04:00

Our third (out of 50) Latitude 5590 burned today; the exact same chip as with the 7390. Just ordered a motherboard replacement. All models are connected to a WD15 USB-C dock.

2 Posts

November 20th, 2018 00:00

Hello,

We have around 40 7390 since this summer, and 80% of them have the issue with black screen, or won't start, and some SSD issues....

This model/serie is very bad. I can't understand Dell is not offering a recall and replacement of all these **bleep** laptops like the Nissan or others are doing with their cars....

Does anyone has a permanent fix for that?

1 Message

December 15th, 2018 06:00

What is the current status on these as of late 2018?

Are people still experiencing the meltdown and/or coil noise issues in recent revisions or refurbs?

I'm considering buying a refurb as it should have the latest fixes. But the question is, have these problems been fixed?

2 Posts

December 17th, 2018 09:00

Hey there, I thought I'd share this nugget in case you are still seeing this.  I was getting incredibly high temps on my 7390 only when docked...literally 2x, over 80C on CPU.  My dock is a Dell WD15.  I eliminated the temp surge when I unplugged my monitor USB hub (Dell U2412M).   Now I'm sitting comfortably in the same range as unplugged, aprox 48C.

This was after updating BIOS, firmware on the dock, firmware for Thunderbolt.  For drivers, I updated chipset, thermal control, Thunderbolt, audio, and USB (not in this order).  

I found this because I noticed that if I plugged in everything straight into the laptop, it would start heating up without the dock.  Selectively unplugging devices I found the weird interaction between the USB hub in the monitor and the 7390.  I plugged everything but that back into the dock, and now I'm running cool.  Have a look and see if this works for you.

2 Posts

December 17th, 2018 10:00

Need to update this:  I narrowed my own problems even further...It's an external webcam that provokes the issues, a Logitech HD C615.  This laptop doesn't like, it regardless of whether it is plugged directly into the laptop, into the dock, or into the monitor USB hub.  Once I get rid of that device, temps go back to normal.  It's almost instantaneous.  

I've connected the monitor hub back up to the dock (through a KVM even) and things went back to normal, another USB device (headset) connected through the monitor hub>KVM>dock doesn't have the same effect and works fine.

Weird, but my problems seem to be solved.  Running cool and quiet...only occasional low-speed fan with temps between 48-54C. 

5 Posts

January 4th, 2019 05:00

Update:

Between Feb 2018 and May 2018 we ordered 60 Latitude 5590 laptops. As of now from those we have 11 devices with the exact same fried chip. That's almost 20%...

All more recent orders seem to be fine; not one problem from a more recent 5590. Probably Dell updated the motherboard revision mid 2018.

14 Posts

February 11th, 2019 08:00

Surprise, now my battery has swelled to where the touchpad, keyboard and bottom of the case are visably bulging. Tech support want's nothing to do with it "not covered under warranty".... they said to refer to sales... Sales says sorry that's tech support. THIS MODEL HAS BEEN AN ABSOLUTE NIGHTMARE FROM DAY 1.

1 Message

February 21st, 2019 14:00

@VinceBusMaximus

Hey everyone, we're having the same issues as well with the 7390's  

What are the tests you are running to replicate a crash straight out of the box?

@VinceBusMaximus wrote:

So, latest update on what Dell says it's going: It's an Intel issue, and they have a team on each side working together towards a resolution. Great. How long will THAT take? I find it very difficult to believe this is not a pure hardware issue versus a driver issue. We have too many machines that still haven't failed yet, all running the exact same software and Dell driver versions (nothing fancy - Chrome, O365, WebRoot, metro apps removed; no iTunes or superfluous third-party; on-prem WSUS). And we can replicate crashes in a basic, fresh-out-of-the box environment too.

April 4th, 2019 12:00

So, I just got one this week (brand new from Dell), and it is exhibiting the same exact symptoms. It is getting SO hot that I cannot touch it. The back can set a match on fire (easily) or if I have a pad of paper, it will light it. 

What is everyone doing? Just returning them and getting a Lenovo?

5 Posts

May 12th, 2019 16:00

Last week after about 10 months of using my latitude 7390 I started to experience freezes and BSOD. It occured after I left my laptop unused for about a week, after this time it started to crash. I reinstalled Intel HD drivers and upgraded BIOS firmware to newest version (from 02.05.2019). Unfortunately this didn't helped. Also I tried to run with Basic Microsoft drivers for GPU, no luck.

I have dual boot configuration with Mint 19.1 Cinnamon and Windows 10.I'm experiencing same issues with both OSs during boot process or high load.

I saw his topic about 7480/7490 series https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/Dell-Latitude-7480-Laptop-that-freezes-up/td-p/6081500 and noticed simialr case of 7480 BSoD/freezes. Seems like BIOS update and Intel HD drivers solved this problem. @Dell-Alan D can you provide any info about 7390? I see a lot of people complaining about this model.

I can reproduce freezes when I unplug charger during Windows 10 boot. It freezes instantaneously. When I'm plugged in it boots normally and freezes when fan goes on and there is a high load. Anyone experiencing same issues and can test if this also causes freeze on this model?

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 14th, 2019 01:00

@kadw wrote:

Last week after about 10 months of using my latitude 7390 I started to experience freezes and BSOD. It occured after I left my laptop unused for about a week, after this time it started to crash. I reinstalled Intel HD drivers and upgraded BIOS firmware to newest version (from 02.05.2019). Unfortunately this didn't helped. Also I tried to run with Basic Microsoft drivers for GPU, no luck.

I have dual boot configuration with Mint 19.1 Cinnamon and Windows 10.I'm experiencing same issues with both OSs during boot process or high load.

I saw his topic about 7480/7490 series https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/Dell-Latitude-7480-Laptop-that-freezes-up/td-p/6081500 and noticed simialr case of 7480 BSoD/freezes. Seems like BIOS update and Intel HD drivers solved this problem. @Dell-Alan D can you provide any info about 7390? I see a lot of people complaining about this model.

I can reproduce freezes when I unplug charger during Windows 10 boot. It freezes instantaneously. When I'm plugged in it boots normally and freezes when fan goes on and there is a high load. Anyone experiencing same issues and can test if this also causes freeze on this model?

@kadw going on the information you have provided about the system freezing on both Windows and Linux and also when you connect the ac, I believe this different from the issues in the thread mentioned. This is pretty much a hardware related issue.

a) Can you run the ePSA diagnostics and note down any error codes returned and if the system freezes during the test. (To run the ePSA, hold down the Fn key and power on the system)
b) Is there any looseness to the ac adaptor port or any damage to the plastics surrounding that port?
c) If you wiggle the ac adaptor a little when plugged in, can you force a freeze / crash?
d) If the system is up and running and you disconnect and reconnect the ac adaptor, does the laptop still freeze?e) Does this issue happen with all ac adaptor's you connect to the system?
f) Does the ac adaptor from this system test ok on another system?

I'll drop you a private message to get your service tag details from you.

Alan

5 Posts

May 14th, 2019 09:00

a) ePSA and PSA diagnostics passed all tests

b) there is no damage to plastics surrounding this port or looseness

c) can't force crash/freeze while wiggling adaptor

d) while running sometimes when I unplug ac adaptor it freezes, can't reproduce it. There is no rule for this, once it happened during high load, another time when I was watching youtube video and unplugged.

e) during boot, yes. As I mentioned in d) it's not easy to reproduce bug with unplugging when system is running. I can only reproduce freezes and crashes during boot and high load (eg. funmark gpu stress test, also when I run simulation software, like ads momentum)

f) yes, on another dell laptop it works ok

btw I'm using 90W ac adaptor

3 Apprentice

• 

1.2K Posts

May 15th, 2019 01:00

@kadw wrote:

a) ePSA and PSA diagnostics passed all tests

b) there is no damage to plastics surrounding this port or looseness

c) can't force crash/freeze while wiggling adaptor

d) while running sometimes when I unplug ac adaptor it freezes, can't reproduce it. There is no rule for this, once it happened during high load, another time when I was watching youtube video and unplugged.

e) during boot, yes. As I mentioned in d) it's not easy to reproduce bug with unplugging when system is running. I can only reproduce freezes and crashes during boot and high load (eg. funmark gpu stress test, also when I run simulation software, like ads momentum)

f) yes, on another dell laptop it works ok

btw I'm using 90W ac adaptor

That's good to hear there is no damage. The ac adaptor being 90w shouldn't be a problem as the system was offered for sale with a 65w, 90w, 130w and 180w versions so I don't think that is the cause.

As you have updated the system BIOS to the latest revision that rules that out too.

Do you have another identical 7390 system that you could swap the drive into this system and test it to see if the fault stays with the system?

If you have no drive swap available, when was the last time to done a clean install of the operating system?

Alan

No Events found!