Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

March 16th, 2018 13:00

Multiple Esata bays on E6410 with Eport

Hello there. I have a Dell Lattitude E6410 with a docking bay.

Running windows 10 64bit. 8GB memory.

I have one external Dell eSATA bay connected directly to the computer, giving three hard drives.

I wish to attach a second external bay to allow for a total of three hard drives and a DVD/CD RW.

there is an additional port on the E-port ( docking bay ). cannot try this before buying.

Is there likely to be a problem. looked on most places, and even asked the seller of the bay, but they didn't know.

Kind Regards, in advance.

4 Posts

April 5th, 2018 10:00

@jphughan

Just out of interest and for information for anybody else that needs this configuration, I am pleased to say that this does work. I have two eSATA bays now, one with the stock E6410 DVD, and one with a 2.5 inch SATA hard disc. Additionally there are two discs also mounted in the laptop.I have tried a couple of permutations of this (e.g. DVD in laptop and two discs in eSATA bays)

I would have replied earlier, but because of complications with the purchase, I have only just received the addtional bay.

Thanks for the earlier assistance.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 16th, 2018 14:00

One additional point to the above: There are 4 variations of the E-Dock models.  There's the regular E-Dock and then the E-Dock Plus, the latter offering TWO sets of digital display outputs allowing dual displays (without resorting to VGA), whereas the regular E-Dock only supports one digital display attached via either DVI or DisplayPort, but you can't use both of those simultaneously.  However, each of those variations has two generations -- one with USB 3.0 and DisplayPort 1.2 support, and one without.  The way you can tell is by checking the USB ports underneath the Ethernet connector.  If they're blue, you have the newer model that supports USB 3.0 and DP 1.2; if they're black, you have the older model.  Make sure you get the newer one.  Also note that even on the USB 3.0 model, the ports under the Ethernet connector are the only 3.0 ports; the others elsewhere on the dock remain 2.0.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 16th, 2018 14:00

I've never tried this configuration, but it's possible that the built-in eSATA connector is disabled if the dock connector is active, or vice versa.  This is how the Ethernet connector works, for example, even on systems where the built-in network connector is on the side rather than the rear.  Video connectors sometimes work this way as well.  However, if you're just trying to add a DVD/CD RW drive, why not just buy a USB 3.0 drive or a 3.5" enclosure into which you would install your desired drive model?  eSATA won't be any faster for an optical drive, USB 3.0 is much more widely supported, and USB 3.0 guarantees that the host provides power to the device, whereas eSATA does not.  The built-in eSATA port provides power by acting as a combo USB/eSATA port, but that was never a widely adopted standard even by the standards of the already somewhat rare and now defunct eSATA standard.  Lack of a standard power delivery mechanism was one of the major headaches of eSATA connectivity.

4 Posts

March 16th, 2018 16:00

Thank you for your reply.

I suspect you may be right. currently the ESata is connected to the laptop, but works on the Eport also.

Unfortunately I can't test both at the same time as I haven't yet got the second bay.

there's a possibility it might work as SATA configuration of four are common on motherboards on desktops, and this would total four devices, in addition, all the USB ports work concurrently. Could be wishful thinking though for the ESata.

I confirm the ethernet port restriction. I found the same, and it is that that made me hesitate.

Hopefully somebody has tried this and can confirm if it is/isn't possible.

jphughan wrote:

"However, if you're just trying to add a DVD/CD RW drive, why not just buy a USB 3.0 drive or a 3.5" enclosure into which you would install your desired drive model?  eSATA won't be any faster for an optical drive, USB 3.0 is much more widely supported, and USB 3.0 guarantees that the host provides power to the device, whereas eSATA does not.  The built-in eSATA port provides power by acting as a combo USB/eSATA port, but that was never a widely adopted standard even by the standards of the already somewhat rare and now defunct eSATA standard.  Lack of a standard power delivery mechanism was one of the major headaches of eSATA connectivity."

The bay I have ( ESata ) is the Dell model for the E6410 laptop. These are still  available on the UK ebay from the same supplier at the moment as new old stock for approx seven pounds (including post and taxes), just under $10. They are very good, I already have the DVD/CD RW and I'm having to do this on the slenderest of shoestrings.

I take your point, I have no particular predudice, if there is a USB bay that will fit the DVD module then that would be an equally if not better solution. The DVD module is the original that was installed in the machine. The ESata bays are specifically for the Lattitude E series laptops I believe.

I have the older e-port with the USB 2.0 but there is the additional ESata.

I'll hang on for a bit though and see if maybe somebody has tried this.

In the interim ...

Many thanks!!!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 16th, 2018 17:00

Fair warning about the above option.  USB-powered optical drives typically require USB 3.0 and will NOT always work with USB 2.0 ports.  The reason is that USB 3.0 includes higher minimum power specs than USB 2.0 (900mA vs 500 mA) and optical drives need that extra capacity.  Some USB 2.0 ports, especially on modern products, can offer up to 1000-1600 mA and would therefore work, but that's not a guarantee, and I don't know what the ports on the E-Port docks offer.  The other alternative if you have to use a device like this with a USB 2.0 port is to get a USB Y-cable, which has two USB connectors on the PC side of the cable -- one for data and power, and the other for supplementary power.

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

March 16th, 2018 17:00

Out of curiosity, do you have a link to this eSATA bay you're using?  I've never seen it.  But if I can figure out what size optical drive it's designed for, I can send you a link to an equivalent USB 3.0 enclosure just in case.  The main possibilities would be the full-size desktop optical drives, called 5.25", and the laptop style optical drives called slimline.  Just in case it's the latter, here's an equivalent option that I'm betting you can find from a UK retailer by searching StarTech SLSODDU33B: https://www.startech.com/HDD/Enclosures/usb-3-slimline-sata-optical-drive-enclosure~SLSODDU33B

Good luck getting your answer, but you may be waiting a while given how relatively uncommon it is for even a single eSATA port to be used.

EDIT: Missed the note that the bay is designed to accommodate the optical drive that came with the laptop itself, in which case the slimline option above should work if you decide to go that route.

4 Posts

March 16th, 2018 18:00

@jphughanwrote:

Fair warning about the above option.  USB-powered optical drives typically require USB 3.0 and will NOT always work with USB 2.0 ports.  The reason is that USB 3.0 includes higher minimum power specs than USB 2.0 (900mA vs 500 mA) and optical drives need that extra capacity.  Some USB 2.0 ports, especially on modern products, can offer up to 1000-1600 mA and would therefore work, but that's not a guarantee, and I don't know what the ports on the E-Port docks offer.  The other alternative if you have to use a device like this with a USB 2.0 port is to get a USB Y-cable, which has two USB connectors on the PC side of the cable -- one for data and power, and the other for supplementary power.

That solution would certainly work. The bay I have is:

Dell Latitude E Series E-Media Bay Drive Case Caddy PD02S

there are a number of inexpensive USB 2.0 drives available supplied with dual cables. Sad to lose two USBs. I will consider.

No Events found!