Start a Conversation

This post is more than 5 years old

Solved!

Go to Solution

February 8th, 2018 00:00

New 7490 + TB16 + Skype for Business = BSOD in asmtxhci.sys

Like so many others, I am getting crashes with the TB16 connected to my brand new 7490. For the most part, it is stable -except- if I start Skype for Business (necessary at my company). Regardless of whether the audio modules are disabled, no Ethernet, etc., I get an immediate BSOD if I start Skype for Business. Disconnect the TB16, everything is fine. I have reinstalled the TBolt driver, firmware, ASM driver (10.16.50.1), Realtek audio and Ethernet drivers with no improvement. My preferred configuration would be to have a headset connected to the dock, 2 monitors (1 HDMI, 1 DP) and a Logitech Unity receiver. Dell, please continue working with AS Media to resolve these issues.

156 Posts

January 24th, 2019 11:00

Thank you for confirming, derkan75!

changes have been made in the ASMedia driver in build 1.16.55.1, available here:

<ADMIN NOTE: Broken link has been removed from this post by Dell>

once this is done, it is suggested to update the Firmware on the TB16 to 1.0.2:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/19/drivers/driversdetails?driverId=7TJ1H

both of these have resolved my issues, and it sounds like a few others are seeing success as well. 

4 Posts

January 25th, 2019 06:00

Dale, I appreciate your continued persistence, but Dell should just stop selling these and refund our money!

I've wasted another hour + of my life on this device and again, it does not work as promised.

At first it would not recognize my Dell U38 monitor - that was fixed through multiple restarts, BUT!! 

You cannot restart with the TB16 attached or Windows blue screens with the warning: Driver_Power_State_Failure

Additionally, it will not recognize the Ethernet connection and won't act as a USB hub beyond supplying power.

Before this update I used the TB16 by disabling the device in Windows as a whole and used it only to pass through my video and as a power brick for my Dell 9570 - Yes folks, I am all Dell, so please don't blast me for exercising some well deserved constructive feedback with this device - I feel for Dale as he is obviously not getting the support (or feedback) he needs to punt and move on.  I have been struggling with this device since it was the TB15 (Dell sent a free upgrade to the TB16, which we hoped was the solution) which we bought our first Dell XPS 15 two + years ago. 

It is a failed experiment and we should all be compensated and told truthfully that the chipset simply is not compatible with all Dell promised it can do.  

Cheers

2 Posts

January 25th, 2019 06:00

Me, and all of my coworkers that are using 9560’s in combination with TB16, have been running BSOD-less for quite a while.  We can’t even repro the issue any more (unplugging headset from TB16 etc.).
And it was a daily issue for all of us when I posted the issue here (07-09-2018).

It looks like we are getting the same results with build 1.16.55.1.

We are all using ethernet, dual-display and USB-ports (headsets, keyboards, wireless mice etc.) from the TB16.

So, I’m quite pleased with the TB16 with the current drivers.

1 Message

January 25th, 2019 15:00

I'm using a Dell Precision 7520 with a TB16 and it's been nothing but problems since I received it over a year ago. The 7520 can run for days on end without any problems if it isn't docked to the TB16. I've always had the occasional BSOD, but lately I can't stay up more than 20 minutes without a crash. It started when I updated my drivers as I do a couple times a year. I'm now on the latest bios, TB drivers, and the TB16 is updated with the latest firmware, as is the ASMedia drivers. Every driver that is available for my 7520/TB16 combo has been updated to the latest versions. I used the Dell Command Update program to make sure everything is updated, and I used the SupportAssist program to troubleshoot. I contacted Dell Support and they sent me a replacement TB16 and I got BSOD about 20 minutes after using it. I then flashed that one with the latest firmware and got another BSOD.

It's not just me, many of my co-workers had similar problems and switched to the WB15. I stuck with the TB16 thinking driver updates would fix it eventually, but it's only gotten worse. We buy a lot of Dell equipment and the TB16 has been a huge disappointment and a waste of resources. I'm tossing the two TB16's I have in the trash and will get a WB15.

1 Message

February 8th, 2019 06:00

Hi Everyone,
I have the same problem with my Precision 5520 + TB16 running on the latest dock FW and Windows Drivers (1.16.55.1) where the ASMedia USB3.0 driver always crashes after reconnecting the dock. Therefore rendering any dock connected USB devices useless until a reboot. It also seems to reset the USB port from time to time when it works and I suddenly loose my USB headset connection for a few seconds until it reconnected. Quite annoying during conference calls!

In the Windows System event log I can see this:
The driver \Driver\asmtxhci failed to load for the device PCI\VEN_1B21&DEV_1142&SUBSYS_B0541028&REV_00\a&9db4337&0&00080020000800EE.

And after in Device Manager I see the AS Media USB 3.0 eXtensible Host Controller with an exclamation mark.

I think there are still bugs in the latest ASMedia drivers that cannot handle the undock/dock functionalities properly.

16 Posts

February 8th, 2019 10:00

Thanks AMA84, you are describing the exact two issues that I used to have with my 5520+TB16, which for me went away with latest Precision BIOS 1.12.1 + TB16 FW 1.0.2 + ASMedia driver 1.16.55.1. My support ticket is closed because my issues stopped but now this worries me. Can you please if you haven't already done so open a ticket with Dell and report back here if you find out anything new? Feel free to reference my ticket because it's the same configuration and same symptoms and maybe it will save them time.

156 Posts

February 8th, 2019 10:00

Hi team!

I'm sorry to hear the troubles and concerns with the TB16 that are ongoing. We've had to remove some customer-centric information to prevent impersonation to protect your privacy.

If you could, please DM (Direct Message/ Private Message) me if you have a ticket where you are still having these problems, and we can work to reproduce and ensure we get a solution for everyone.

We have seen BSODs in the past with the TB16 when older versions of Skype for Business, formerly Lync and with Dell Encryption. If you are running older versions of these software as well, you may need to update those clients. 

As always, feel free to reach out to me via Direct Message if you have any questions or concerns :)

2 Intern

• 

360 Posts

February 13th, 2019 08:00

I have the same problem with all of our brand new XPS 15 9570s.  These don't seem to have the ASMedia USB controller.  My Device Manager shows just an Intel USB3.1 eXtensible Host Controller - 1.10 (Microsoft).

Dell Command Update says everything is up to date so I don't know what to do.

2 Intern

• 

360 Posts

February 13th, 2019 12:00

Ah, OK.  So the ASMedia thing doesn't show up unless the dock is connected and mine wasn't.  When I connected it and check the driver version it was 10.x.x.x which is way off from what everyone else is posting.

I right clicked it and told it to update drivers anyway and it end up with a 1.16.54 version so I guess I'll try it again and hope for the best.

156 Posts

February 13th, 2019 12:00

@kelemvor33 

Typically the Dell Command | Update and Dell Update applications lag behind a few weeks for newer drivers, such as these drivers for ASMedia, as they go through a delay to be added to the catalog files that are used to define what is the latest update for specific devices. Using the direct link to update to 1.16.55.1 will bypass this process and get you into the latest driver before the catalog is updated. 

16 Posts

February 13th, 2019 21:00

Just to let everyone know, there appears to be a new, separate issue that I have started encountering, which is a different kind of BSOD, driver_verifier_dma_violation, possibly related to webcams connected to the TB16 and the new TB16 firmware 1.0.2. Happened to me, I'm waiting for the next fix.

1 Message

February 19th, 2019 07:00

I'm also getting the BSOD driver_verifier_dma_violation when using USB webcam connected to the TB16 dock with firmware 1.0.2.

1 Message

February 20th, 2019 03:00

Same issue here. @Dale, please provide new feedback, we are also getting the "driver_verifier_dma_violation" BSOD in our company, we are using the XPS 9370 i7/16GB version.

156 Posts

February 20th, 2019 05:00

All,

Thank you for the information and the heads-up on the issue. I have this reproduced here at Dell with a Latitude 5290 2-in-1, I am working through understanding the root of the problem, and getting this data into the hands of the developers for the driver that seems to be causing the issue as soon as possible. I will update you all the moment I have any work-arounds, or information from development on time-lines.

1 Message

February 20th, 2019 05:00

@dell-dale p 

we have the same issue here. with the followed Dell models & Dell Dock TB16

Latitude 7280

Latitude 7380

Latitude 7390

Precision 7530

Already tested szenarios

BIOS Upgrade / BIOS Downgrade

Old ASMedia Driver / New ASMedia Driver

Reinstall the Thunderbold Controller Driver / TB Firmware Update

Dell Dock TB16 Firmware Update

Installed all new Drivers (5 new Drivers from yesterday)

Reinstall all Dell Docking driver & Laptop Drivers

No Events found!