Start a Conversation

Unsolved

SW

15 Posts

June 10th, 2022 14:00

PSA: WD22TB4 still has problem with dual 4K monitors on HBR2 TB systems

Just a post in case anyone is searching for this on Google. 

Symptoms

• You have a Dell computer that only supports HBR2 (e.g., your laptop has Comet Lake processor).
  • You try to connect your computer to two 4K monitors via your WD22TB4 dock (specifically:
    1. one connected to one of the DisplayPort/HDMI/USB-C ports on the main module,
    2. the other connected to one of the two downstream TB4 ports on the TB module).
  • Initially, you successfully have 4K output at 60Hz.
  • However, when you unplug and reconnect the Thunderbolt cable, the second monitor (ii) is now throttled or limited to 4K at 30Hz.
  • This behavior remains despite updating your computer, the dock, and Windows to the latest drivers and firmware.

Solution

• There is no solution. You should return it while you can.
  • If you cannot, there is one workaround (the same one as applicable to the previous WD19TB/S dock) as follows:
    1. unplug the dock, (i) and (ii);
    2. plug in (ii) first;
    3. plug in the TB cable to your computer; and 
    4. plug in (i).
  • This way, the dock is forced to first allocate sufficient bandwidth for the second monitor, before assigning the remaining bandwidth to the first monitor and other peripherals.

You can try to talk to Dell support (you may have already), but you may want to read some of the posts on this forum to be mentally prepared.

June 10th, 2022 15:00

Right after I posted this PSA, Dell's team sent a message asking me to check the display resolution tables. 

Just for reference, the user guide represents (rather, misrepresents) that WD22TB4 supports dual 4K 60Hz output on HBR2 systems:

SadWD19User_2-1654899770052.png

So, I guess that illustrates my last point about reaching out to Dell. To make it even better, their system doesn't allow reply to the direct messages (see screenshot).

SadWD19User_1-1654899584348.png

Community Manager

• 

54.2K Posts

June 22nd, 2022 05:00

If you connect the provided 65W AC power adapter to the Latitude 9410, then disconnect the Latitude 9410 from the WD22TB4, then reconnect, do you still have issue of second non-Dell monitor limited to 4K 30Hz?

June 22nd, 2022 13:00

Thanks Chris. Tried your suggestion; the second video (at one of the Thunderbolt 4 downstream ports) remains limited to 4K 30Hz.

• 

25.1K Posts

June 26th, 2022 10:00

We are waiting for you to share the video of the set-up you are referring to. Please feel free to reach out to us for further assistance.

June 29th, 2022 12:00

Update: reached out to Dell’s Advance Tech Support team and the engineers confirmed that this is an issue with the host TB3 controller driver. 

July 14th, 2022 03:00

I have this same problem with my XPS 9520 + WD22TB4. It manifests for me in two different ways depending on which screen I connect to the TB4 port in the docking station:

1. One screen gets weird resolutions that are half 4k and half 2k (with aspect ratios like 32:9 instead of 16:9) (the screen is Asus XG438)

2. The other screen throttles to 30 Hz refresh rate (the screen is Samsung U32R59x)

I just updated the firmware of the docking station to the one from July 2022... didn't help.

The Dell support in Emirates have been awful through this whole process of discovering the issue. They're so negligent, annoying, dismissive and ignorant to the teeth. They almost got me to format my new laptop (XPS 15 9520), EVEN THOUGH the same issue occurred on Linux (and I sent them proof of that), and now they want to change the motherboard. I didn't format the laptop, and on my own time and dime disabled the internal SSDs and installed Windows on an external drive to prove that this is not a software issue. And I wanna point out that I have both the docking station and the laptop under next-business-day warranty. I was never offered to be visited by a technician to investigate the issue. 

Maybe I should make a separate post for this...

• 

25.1K Posts

July 14th, 2022 10:00

Hi, could you please send us a reply here to continue our conversation?

1 Message

November 3rd, 2022 13:00

Hi all, exactly the same issue on my end. Have just installed the dock updates released end of October - still does not work. Did anybody have any success? 

FYI the work around with a particular order of plugging in did not work for me either. No combination of slots and/or cables works.

Quite disappointing. 

November 3rd, 2022 14:00

Nope. No solution. They claim that it doesn't work on WD22TB4 with thunderbolt, while it does on WD19TB... quite ridiculous if you ask me. Even worse, the configuration they suggested with USB doesn't work with Mac... so every time I switch from PC to Mac, I have to mess with connections. Quite stupid. Money wasted.

December 27th, 2023 06:41

I was facing the same issue earlier but may have it sorted out now.

I have 3 4K displays on the WD22TB4 (DP+DP+HDMI) and using a Dell Latitude 5440 with TBT4.
I fixed my issue by tinkering with Intel Graphics Command Center and disabling/re-enabling each display and re-arranging the displays (instead of using WIndows Display Settings).
I have had to do it twice though.  The first time using 4 displays (incuding the laptop screen) and again with 3 of my 4K displays (laptop closed).
I've rebooted and it seems to restore my extended monitor setup just fine.

By the way, I have not yet upgraded my WD22TB4 firmware or installed any software for the dock from the Dell support site.

No Events found!