Start a Conversation

Unsolved

AC

12 Posts

November 6th, 2019 19:00

Possible TPM issue with Outlook Authentication

We're using a mix of Latitude 5580, 5590, and 7490 laptops.  We have Windows 10 and Office 365 ProPlus installed with MFA enabled for Office 365.  Sometimes Outlook will say that it needs password.  When you click that notification a white box will flash on the screen and then disappear.  Nothing seems to help except for one of two things:  Either setting EnableADAL to 0 in the registry and using Legacy authentication with an App Password (which isn't an acceptable workaround for us), or shutting down the computer, unplugging the power, plugging in the power, and turning on.  It seems like this is resetting something in the hardware, and I suspect it's TPM related.  Has anyone else seen similar issues with these Latitudes?  We've also had problems where computers will randomly ask for BitLocker recovery keys at bootup, and ignoring that and doing the reboot process will allow the system to boot normally again. We've used Dell Command | Update to ensure the latest drivers and firmware are installed, but the issues still happen sometimes.  We don't have these issues with any of the Lenovos we have and those have the same versions of OS/software installed.

Thoughts?

1 Message

November 12th, 2019 05:00

Hi

We're having the same issue described with Outlook except we're running in Server 2019, FSlogix and Citrix.  I can't produce the issue consistently and I haven't found a viable workaround.  Interesting thought about being TPM related although not sure how it applies to our specific scenario.  Good luck...

ody

1 Message

August 27th, 2020 12:00

We are currently having the exact same issue.

Dell 7490 + Office 365 ProPlus, and "EnableADAL" is our only workaround at the moment.

1 Message

January 27th, 2021 15:00

i would like to put my input here and i just encountered this issue with one of my clients.  What I found out is that When users set up Windows build in features using Windows Hello -- Fingerprint, PIN or Facial recognition, it  talks to the TPM and adds that extra layer of security with it.  That for some reason conflicts with Microsofts MFA.  My work around was to either disable TPM in bios -  if they are not using Bitlocker or have them not set up the features above in Windows Hello.   That was my experience with it.  I hope this helps. 

5 Posts

October 13th, 2021 04:00

Same problem after updating to the last available BIOS. Windows 11 was stable before that.....after the Update is not possible to use Outlook, Teams and Bitlocker at the moment.

The TPM option from the BIOS simply vanisched..........bad bad that i cannot rollback the bios in anyway.

It make no sense.

1 Message

October 28th, 2021 06:00

Try updating the TPM firmware. For us, we are in the middle of an Active Directory migration. After migration getting a "Trusted Platform Module has malfunctioned" error message. Researching this I discovered numerous articles. Most advised of a fix that involves deleting a subfolder within the user's Local App Data path related to "AADBroker". However, this did not work consistently and is not addressing the root cause. I eventually found a KB article that suggested the root cause is the TPM chip on some laptops. Some TPM chips do not support "Next Generation Credentials". In a nutshell, one's AAD credentials get associated with? TPM (not my area of expertise) Existing users on that machine will have broken O365 apps following a migration, though new users (with new profiles will not). The article advises to update the TPM firmware. We did one this morning and it works. Some links to articles below:

No Events found!