Start a Conversation

Solved!

Go to Solution

December 27th, 2019 14:00

Powerbank for Latitude 7480 (USB-C)

Hi guys and gals,

Is there a recommended powerbank that can be used with the Latitude 7480 (ideally the USB-C port)? Is that a thing these days? I have a power bank that is switchable between 12V, 16V, and 19V, however the output ports are USB-A and I am not sure the USB-A_to_USB-C cables pass the proper power, despite what the powerbrick is capable of sending. The model is the Intocircuit Power Castle PC-26000.

Is anyone using a powerbank with their 7480 and USB-C?

Thanks in advance!

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 27th, 2019 15:00

@Groovechild308  the power bank you want is the Dell Power Bank Plus PW7018LC.  It's a USB-C power bank with 65 Wh of capacity (roughly 20,000 mAh assuming standard lithium ion 3.3V), and it can operate as up to a 65W power adapter, which is what the Latitude 7480 is designed for.

As for charging a laptop through its USB-C port from a USB-A power source, that won't work.  USB-A power sources are fine to use with lower power devices that have USB-C ports but still only require 5V charging rather than requiring USB PD, such as some smartphones, but a laptop won't charge over USB-C unless it can perform a USB PD negotiation with the power source, and a USB-A source port doesn't support USB PD.  And even if it did, USB-A can't provide anything close to 65W of power, which brings me to my next point.  The other limiting factor with most power banks is that the vast majority of them aren't capable of supplying the wattage levels necessary to run a laptop.  It's important to recognize the difference between energy storage capacity (measured in mAh or Wh) and energy delivery rate (measured in W).  There are lots of USB power banks that have high energy storage capacity, but most of them might only deliver that at 10-18W, enough for smartphones, tablets, etc.  Relatively few can deliver their stored energy at wattage levels sufficient for a laptop -- which is partly why the Dell product I mentioned above costs a lot more than other power banks that have similar capacity but often much lower delivery rates.  (That said, the specific power bank you mentioned claims to be able to provide 19V at 3A, i.e. 57W.  That's quite high, although the specs also suggest that it will only provide that from its DC output, not its USB-A port, which makes sense because no USB-A devices would consume 57W.  Even Quick Charge 3.0 devices don't go that high.)

December 28th, 2019 05:00

Thanks very much for the detailed reply @jphughan! That 100% makes sense that the 19V delivery is through the DC connection and not USB, which was my fear of getting a USB-A to USB-C adapter. It seems in most implementations in order to push power the connection is USB-C on both ends, and the PD requirement, which is fairly recent (last couple of years).

Would you know if Dell 7480 still checks if the battery/charger is manufactured by Dell? I've used Lenovo mostly, but previous Dell laptops I had would power on from generic power supplies, but not charge the batteries. Is that still the case with USB-C PD?

4 Operator

• 

14K Posts

December 28th, 2019 08:00

@Groovechild308  happy to help!

In terms of checking the manufacturer of the power source, there is mostly good news here overall and all good news since you’re using a 7480. USB-C uses the USB PD standard to handle charging, which is an industry wide standard. That means that as long as your power source supports USB PD and can provide voltage and total wattage levels that your laptop will work with, then you’re good to go. I have USB PD sources from 3 different non-Dell vendors and they all work with all of the Dell and Lenovo laptops in my home (and other non-laptop devices) — including my Latitude 7480.

The 7480 is designed for a 65W source, so you’ll want a 60W or 65W USB-C charger. The former is much more common to find because exceeding 60W also requires using cables rated for up to 100W, which are noticeably thicker. Most people aren’t willing to deal with that for an extra 5W, so 65W sources are rather rare — although I do have one made by Nekteck, and it works at 65W when you have a 100W cable, otherwise it only provides 60W. But the 7480 will work just fine with a 60W source WITHOUT throwing a warning about an undersized power adapter. As for voltage, to be safe you want a source that supports up to 20V output when you’ll be using it with laptops, but any 60W+ source will. The 45W sources are less certain since some of them only support that output as 15V at 3A rather than also offering 20V at 2.25A, which limits their compatibility. But since 60W sources aren’t much larger or expensive, I don’t see a point to getting 45W sources anyway.

If you’re curious, the reason I said “mostly good news overall” is that as of this writing, Dell systems will not draw more than 65W from non-Dell USB-C power sources, even if the source provides more and the system is designed for more. This doesn’t matter for you since the 7480 is only designed for 65W anyway, but it comes into play with systems like the XPS 15 models that are designed for 130W. The recent generations of that system will draw the full 130W over USB-C using DELL’s 130W USB-C adapter (Dell did something proprietary to stretch the official USB PD spec a bit, since that maxes out at 100W), but for example I also have a Nekteck 90W USB-C power source. It’s recognized as a 65W source with an XPS 15, even though my ThinkPad X1 Extreme designed for a 135W power source sees it as a 90W source. That’s a bit annoying for the XPS 15 because it’s now drawing only half the power it’s designed for, which means it will do things like reduce battery charging speed and even CPU and GPU performance to compensate for the power shortfall. Of course 90W isn’t as much as that system is designed for either, but it’s almost 50% more than the system is choosing to draw, so even 90W would allow for better performance and battery charge speeds than only drawing 65W. I’m not sure why Dell has added this limitation on their current systems, but there you go.

February 3rd, 2024 20:09

astounding I just recently bought one of these Dell machines and was wondering how a USB -c charger could work  period as I was searching to buy a needed charger batt. set for it while I anticipate it's delivery in the mail, and this answer is,  was very clear and thorough thanks tech.  but how bout an update for 2024 is this technology still the same as was dec.2019?

February 3rd, 2024 20:20

after reading the reply on the bottom I'm educated, you Dell guys are pretty good , and have restored my lost faith in the corporate technological stream for now thank you both for ? and answers sincerely..  B. B. 

No Events found!