Start a Conversation

Unsolved

F

38 Posts

October 12th, 2018 09:00

Thunderbolt TB16 + Latitude 5591 USB lag and freeze

Hi,

We have about 25 laptops (XPS 13, XPS 15, Latitude 5580) on TB16 and so far so good. We encountered minor problems that have been solved.

But now, new series, we ave 2x 5591 with similar USB issues when docked on TB16. Keyboard will lag and freezeeeeeeeeeeeeeeee (causing repetition of the same key). Fully updated through Dell updates, TB16 3 drivers up-to-date. The keyboards are wired. Issue does not occur when Keyboard plugged directly in laptop.

Though the docks are expensive, even with deals, so having to plug USB keyboard in laptop is quite frustrating. I am looking forward a driver update that will solve the problems for my 5591 permanently (no problems on 5580)

January 7th, 2019 18:00

Brand new 5530 and TB16 has the same issue with mouse/keyboard. My 7720 does not have this issue with TB16.

1 Message

January 7th, 2019 22:00

Had the same problem on several Latitude 7390s.

This worked for me:

Enter BIOS and disable "C-state".

157 Posts

January 8th, 2019 08:00

Disabling C-states on a laptop will most likely diminish your battery capacity. I haven't tried this fix with my TB16s but I don't think it's a trade off my users would be willing to make.

I've had luck with alternate docks and posted my experience with one of them here:

https://www.dell.com/community/Latitude/TB16-Expensive-poorly-designed-recommend-avoiding/m-p/6245132/highlight/true#M9649

1 Message

March 10th, 2019 12:00

Same Problem on my Precision 5530 + TB16. Everything up to date, newest bios etc. no solution. Really bad hardware, and as the laptop itself has only 2 USB ports this is very annoying!

2 Posts

April 3rd, 2019 10:00

Thanks for letting know that the issue is the TB16. I have a XPS15 (9570). All updates installed and still having the same issues. A second dock (D3100) directly on the XPS for mouse and keyboard, resolved the issues (bad workaround, I know)

1 Message

April 8th, 2019 09:00

I think I found a resolution, at least for now.

I went into my power plan settings and changed the USB Selective suspend settings for "Plugged In" to Disabled

Working now!

Update: nevermind, same issue after a restart

1 Message

April 8th, 2019 14:00

Issue continues

I had tested everything in the post. Bios update, firmware. Drivers. changing the power source charger, setting the selective usb mode to disable, etc. but issue is persistent.

I had tested the usb-c and laptop using Ubuntu Linux OS and the dock and usb works perfectly. So I think it is a windows 10 compatibility issue, with drivers and docking.

1 Message

May 2nd, 2019 08:00

Just as a side note, my organization has seen this across a number of laptops and tb16 installations. In addition to my work laptop, I have an XPS 13 9370 (brand new) and a Pluggable TBT3-UDV at home that exhibits the exact same behavior.

I don't believe this is specific to the dock. I was going to install Linux to see if it was the OS or not, but it seems someone beat me to that test. This seems to be either a Dell driver issue, or a Windows HID subsystem issue. 

It would be nice to see a fix either way, this is a stupid problem to have in 2019. 

157 Posts

May 2nd, 2019 09:00

Just wanted to throw in my comments about the TB16 after not writing any for 6 months:

We've stopped using the TB16. They all consistently have died or have had what I consider unacceptable amounts of issues for at least 75% of the users in my organization. I've RMA'ed several of them and the replacements end up being just as bad after a few months. I've replaced them all with Caldigit docks which work fine.

• The plastic connector with the little TB icon snaps apart very easily and breaks, leaving wires exposed. I ended up using electrical tape to keep the plastic connector snapped closed. Classy looking.
  • The USB lag and freeze issue never really went away. We would just use external USB3 hubs to fix the problem instead of using the USB ports on the TB16.
  • Firmware updates bricked several TB16s. Firmware updates on their own were a huge pain - often not starting, requiring input but the USB ports suddenly died, some not working after a couple of steps, and often requiring me to drag out a huge 220w power adapter for them to actually begin the update. Just a huge pain for what should be super simple.
  • Several TB16s simply died on me. No lights, no power, nothing. Replaced power supplies, tried higher powered ones, lower powered ones. Some of them I could fix by unscrewing them and pulling the power plug from the little motherboard and then it would work fine for a few months. Some of them I had to RMA.
  • They're just wonky for lack of a better team. They are in no way as simple and as reliable as the old E-series docking solution where you clicked into them. Considering all the screwing around and faults with them they are in now way worth the $300+ you pay for them. They're just lemons of a product. 
  • By comparison the Caldigit TB+ docks I'm using have worked consistently 100% of the time without any issues with both Macs and PCs. They just work. Once the secret got out that some of my users found relief with the Caldigit docks I had people lining up at my door looking to replace the TB16s.

1 Message

August 20th, 2019 15:00

Possible Fix:

1. Go into Manage Bitlocker>suspend protection, if you have it enabled.
  2. Go into BIOS and disable Secure Boot
  3. Open CMD as admin>type in bcdedit.exe /set nointegritychecks on>press enter
  4. Maybe restart

I had this same lag/freeze problem with 13" XPS 9380 and TB16. I updated all drivers/firmware for the laptop and TB16, which caused my USB devices and ethernet to stop working. Did a bunch of hardware/driver troubleshooting, no dice. Went into device manager>Universal Serial Bus controllers and saw AsMedia USB3.0 eXtensible Host controller has a notice on it, "This device is blocked from starting while the user is not logged in. (Code 55)." This fixed my ethernet and USB not working. I haven't noticed any lag for a few minutes now.

3 Posts

June 7th, 2021 22:00

I scotch taped my connector... Doesn't look so bad.

My lags have vanished after installing firmware update to the TB16 but sometimes when i boot the laptop with the dock they return. I have to unplug/replug once and all is fine.

PS: Oh. I don't know if it can be related but. Stick with the intel graphics driver which comes with the laptop or with graphics driver updates from Dell. New geforce experience drivers seem to work fine as long as you stick with Dell drivers for the intel graphics. Else it's just more mouse lags.

1 Message

October 7th, 2022 13:00

Fyi: I have the same issue with my TB16 operating with 240W on my Precision 5520 running Win11. EXTREMELY laggy mouse and keyboard, totally unusable. Updated bios, firmware and installed latest drivers, but no dice.

UNTIL I tried the front USB ports! Don't ask me why, but these seem to run smoothly.

The moment I swap to one on the rear the problem is back again.

No Events found!