Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Q

8 Posts

September 9th, 2019 17:00

WD19 docking stations - network dropout, USB dropout across multiple models

We are facing issues with WD19s losing Ethernet connections pretty consistently and also USB dropping out randomly throughout the day.

This happens with our latitude 5400 laptops.

The issue persists after we had the motherboard and other parts replaced, 3 new WD19's, and fresh installs of OEM image and latest BIOS and drivers on laptop and dock.

The issue does NOT occur with the WD15 dock and 5400 latitude.

Dell indicated moths ago there would be an August update of the docks firmware. This has not been released.

Has Dell acknowledged this as a known issue ?- there seems to be multiple posts with this same issue with other laptop models.

We were planning on purchasing this model for our fleet...

Dell, any comment? 

23 Posts

June 27th, 2020 13:00

So I finished out this work week, and the dock did not drop.  That's one drop in 2 weeks... a very far cry from watching the dock ethernet disable itself nearly every day, or drop at minimum a dozen times in a day.

There is potential that one of the 3 items I did may reduce the problem, but doesn't seem to completely eliminate it.  In case anybody else wishes to try one of the items I did:

1.  Adjust "Type-C Connector Power" to 15w (not available on inspiron, but is on latitude)

2.  Add memory to run in dual channel mode (this is highly unlikely to be the fix, but it did trip something in the bios to make me accept the new memory amount).

3.  Make sure your PC bios and Dock bios are updated to the latest, and then shut down, then disconnect the main battery (not the CMOS battery) for a few minutes, and reconnect.

Anything is worth a shot and 2 out of those 3 are freebie solutions.  Of course, don't attempt them if you're not comfortable with it, as you are responsible for your own machine.

23 Posts

July 6th, 2020 12:00

No drops from the ethernet port on the dock all last week. Today? Died 4 times while I was trying to work on stuff, so I got fed up again and jacked in to the laptop's port, which has always been stable. I really thought I had something going, especially after only 1 drop from 2 solid weeks of working fine. So yeah, all of those suggestions above? Bupkis. Try'em if you want though.

3 Posts

July 8th, 2020 22:00

I just received one of the WD19 docks for use at home today and have been fighting with the network dropouts all afternoon.  Just about any time I started pushing a reasonable amount of data thru the ethernet port, it'd disconnect leaving me cursing.  On a whim, I tried switching from the far left-hand DisplayPort to the second on the dock and (so far) the disconnects have stopped.

Hardware is as follows:

Inspiron 7591 - latest BIOS

WD19 - Latest BIOS and drivers from support.dell.com

LG 38WN75C connected via Display Port 2

Realtek drivers set as follows:

IPv6 disabled

Adaptive Link Speed: Disabled

Advanced EEE: Disabled

Battery Mode Link Speed: Not Speed Down

Energy-Efficient Ethernet: Disabled

Green Ethernet: Disabled

Idle Power Saving: Disabled

Speed & Duplex: hard set to 1.0Gbps Full

TCP Checksum Offload IPv4: Rx & Tx Enabled

TCP Checksum Offload IPv6: Disabled

UDP Checksum Offload IPv4: Rx & Tx Enabled

UDP Checksum Offload IPv6: Disabled

Wake on Link change: Disabled

Wake on Magic Packet: Enabled

Wake on pattern match: Disabled

WOL & Shutdown Link Speed: Not Speed Down

Hope this helps - I'll continue to monitor for disconnects in hopes that this solves the issue!

3 Posts

July 8th, 2020 23:00

Made another discovery just now after having a drop-out once I'd installed the Intel Display drivers: There's yet another Power Management setting for the Thunderbolt (TM) Controller listed under Device Manager/System Devices.  I'm crossing my fingers.

Hope this helps,

Mike

3 Posts

July 9th, 2020 00:00

Well, so much for that - I closed the browser and pulled up another and BAM - no Ethernet.  Back in the box it goes.

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

July 14th, 2020 23:00

@DELL-Cares

Please can we have an offical statement on this. It is a known issue for over one year now. Is it possible to fix it in the next months or do we have to wait for a new WD20 USB4/Thunderbolt4 dock?

1 Rookie

• 

26 Posts

July 17th, 2020 00:00

Hey community,

there is a new realtek audio and usb nic driver which should fix the lan wifi modern standby switching issue. It could not get worse so we should give it try and provide feedback here.

https://www.dell.com/support/home/de-de/product-support/product/dell-wd19-130w-dock/drivers

Fixes:
- Fixed the issue where the WLAN disconnects when the system resumes from the Modern Standby mode. This issue occurs when the system is connected to the Dell Dock WD19.

Enhancements:
- Enhances the driver compatibility with Windows 10 May 2020 Update.

8 Posts

July 17th, 2020 14:00

Tried the new drivers on a known problem 7300 with a WD19TB... no help.

21 Posts

July 19th, 2020 04:00

I'm still having hard-wired ethernet drop from the docking station once a day. My computer is NEVER turned off or goes in standby. I unplug the ethernet cable from the WD19TB docking station for 5 seconds and plug it back in and everything works once again. All drivers and firmware are up to date. No solutions yet it looks like?

July 30th, 2020 00:00

I just wanted to pop in as another user who is having trouble with their WD19TB and XPS 15 7590. Every now and again, the network from the dock completely stops working, without any warning. I can either power cycle the dock or unplug and re-plug in the network cable to get it working again. I have tried literally every single suggestion in this thread, and am still having problems. To be fair, I feel like the frequency that it happens has lowered since I applied all the suggestions, but that is just a gut feel, and I don't have any data to back up that claim. I am also unable to really say which suggestion helped in this manner, as I applied all of them at once. Probably not the most scientific approach, but I was getting so frustrated with the whole situation that I wanted to try everything to solve the problem ASAP.

25 Posts

July 30th, 2020 01:00

I have problem with drop out, only when monitor goes off.
I tried every suggestion in this forum, but when monitor goes off ethernet or usb device probably turn off or whatever. USB disk encounter error with device and ethernet connection terminates.

After unlock Windows Ethernet device is functional, but connections like SSH tunels are broken.

If I disable monitor turn off and let only screen saver connections are stable, but monitor is not going to sleep....

The new drivers suggested in the latest messages didn't help.

6 Posts

August 3rd, 2020 02:00

We only deliver HP as preferred model. Dell support is not doing anything about this problem. 

8 Posts

August 4th, 2020 08:00

Well mine was good for a while, back to the usual again.

Random NIC drops, and freezing.

3 Posts

August 12th, 2020 08:00

We were able to resolve this issue by updating the WD19TB to the latest firmware, however we had to do it from a dell factory image laptop.  Something about our image wouldnt allow the Dell Firmware update utility to properly detect/update the dock firmware.

23 Posts

August 12th, 2020 15:00

@captain_p How long have you been running the latest firmware?  I believe most of us have updated to the latest dock firmware and it worked for a little bit and then went back bouncing/flapping.  It has gone as long as a week with no events for me, and then it goes nuts.

No Events found!