Start a Conversation

Unsolved

Closed

S

17 Posts

July 25th, 2022 07:00

isHighlyActiveTopic

Windows 11 & issues with network connection on a dock

Checking to see if anyone else has seen this problem.  Latitude 5520 on a docking station, running Windows 11.  The network connection keeps flaking out.  I'll have the ethernet connection symbol, then it will go to Wi-Fi then it goes to the World (disconnected) symbol. 

Here's the thing, my network connection is still working.  I can still chat on Teams, still get to websites, still receive email.  But it blips in and out while I have the world symbol.

I've rebuilt my machine, I've updated firmware on everything including the dock.  I'm on a different computer entirely with a fresh build, even tried a different docking station and it still happens.

At this point, I don't know if it's a Windows 11 bug or a Dell driver issue, but it's beyond annoying.

For now, I've unplugged the ethernet port of the dock so I can keep going without interruption, but would love to get this fixed permanently.  

Anyone else see this?

July 28th, 2022 03:00

Hi,

that's the same for me, Latitude 5500 and docking WD19. The workaround is unplug/plug USB C.

So I suppose could be something on USB.

17 Posts

July 28th, 2022 09:00

Are you running Windows 11 as well?

7 Posts

August 1st, 2022 00:00

Hi,

we had the same Problem here with Latitude 3520. 

We found out that the Problem occures when the old OpenVPN client from Sophos is installed.

17 Posts

August 1st, 2022 06:00

I have an AT&T VPN software installed...but don't know that is the issue.  Are you running Windows 11 as well?

17 Posts

August 1st, 2022 06:00

Sadly, that doesn't work for me...I generally get stuck shutting down the laptop, unplugging it from the dock and resetting the power on the dock as well before plugging it all back in and rebooting.  That might work anywhere from hours to minutes and I'm stuck again.

Are you also running Windows 11?

7 Posts

August 2nd, 2022 09:00

Hi,

we had the same Problem here with Latitude 3520. 

We found out that the Problem occures when the old OpenVPN client from Sophos is installed.

7 Posts

August 2nd, 2022 09:00

We use Windows 11 too. 

1 Message

August 4th, 2022 07:00

Same here.  We have several laptops and docking stations. WD15 and WD19.  All seem to have the issue at the same time.  Disconnecting the ethernet cable and using wireless fixes the issue.  All these users are on Windows 11.  Any setup with Win10 and these docking stations don't have a problem.  I believe it's Win11 update issue as I don't have auto updates for Dell docking station configured.  However, I haven't tried updating the docking station drivers, but looking at the WD15 drivers at Dell, there's no support for Win11. 

17 Posts

August 4th, 2022 08:00

Someone suggest a VPN client could be causing an issue.  Are you running an VPN clients?

I have one installed from AT&T, however, the network connection blips whether I have the software running or not.

1 Message

August 9th, 2022 14:00

Same issue as described, also did the same with regards to connecting ethernet right to the laptop and avoiding the docking station as a work-around.  Meh, this wd19 docking station, idk, about a year in with it and some head-scratchers for sure (led flashing, actual plug casing (plastic on the usb-c end) separated day 1, and yep, odd ethernet drops with Win11 -> simple unplug-replug of usb-c connection to resolve).  Here is flow control post from recent days Dell shared with me from another post.  So far,,, only been a few days, but so far, since enabling flow control, have not had other drops with ethernet via docking station...  

https://www.dell.com/support/kbdoc/en-us/000132644/dell-wd19-dock-ethernet-port-may-intermittently-disconnect-when-flow-control-is-disabled

17 Posts

August 10th, 2022 06:00

So with this new computer/rebuild/dock, I looked, my flow control is enabled but it still has been dropping the connections. Maybe it will help the others though, so thanks!

1 Message

September 12th, 2022 04:00

Hi all,

I am experience the same issue with my Dell XPS 9320 with Windows 11 Ent. and no ethernet on WD22TB4 Docking Station.

I already tried:
- Windows update
- BIOS update
- SupportAssist to driver update
- Manually installed latest Docking Station driver
- Checked Flow Control is enabled
etc.

Bonus info:
We got the exact same issue on some Lenovo T480, T490, T14 etc.
After upgrading from Windows 10 to 11 our users have the same issue with no internet on their Lenovo Thunderbolt 4 and USB-C Docing stations.

From my experince, this could be something related to a Windows 11 bug, chipset or driver issue.

A wakeup call for Dell and Lenovo; We need a solution now!

1 Message

September 20th, 2022 03:00

We also encounter this with every latitude we have upgraded to windows 11 and is using WD
19 docking station.

The only exception is one single latitude 7430 which for some reason does not suffer from this issue.

Only difference is it is slightly newer than the rest (12th gen cpu and not 11th like the rest). Not sure what makes the difference.

3 Posts

September 20th, 2022 06:00

We have this issue with Latitudes on Windows 11 as well. We connect to Dell USB-C docking monitors and Ethernet is plugged into the monitor.

It is most noticeable in video conferencing like Teams, Zoom, Webex. 

17 Posts

September 20th, 2022 06:00

Only fix I've had so far is to leave the ethernet cord unplugged and use WiFi.

No Events found!