Start a Conversation

Unsolved

E

3 Posts

June 9th, 2019 15:00

latitude E7440 doesn't power on

Without any warning, my E7440 no longer powers on. I tried the hard reset with 30 or 60 seconds pressing power button after removing battery and unplugging power method, doesn't work. There seems no POST either according to DELL website. After pressing power button to start, the power LED will stay on for for at least 15 seconds, then went off and battery LED is on for less than 2 seconds. After that no LED.

I have reseated RAM already, not working. Is the mother board is bad? What is the indication of power LED and battery LED. I don't see any amber lights, nor blinking according to this page: https://www.dell.com/support/article/us/en/04/sln309632/a-reference-guide-to-the-latitude-notebook-and-tablet-diagnostic-indicators?lang=en. Any hints? Is power supply or mother board? failure?

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 9th, 2019 15:00

Welcome to the Dell Community  @eversion 

Remove AC, Battery and Base Cover.

Then disconnect the RTC/BIOS battery.

Then connect the AC and try to power-on for just a few seconds.

Let us know what happens???

Best regards,

U2

EDIT: Make sure to push the power button at least 3 times!!!

3 Posts

June 9th, 2019 20:00

Thanks. I removed the CMOS battery and plugged power adapter, it BOOTED. I didn't even try to push power button at all. It's turned on after I plugged the power adapter, booted up to last state before hibernate. 

I did try to replace CMOS battery with another one from a DELL latitude e5440 laptop. But didn't try to boot without it. Does the RTC/BIOS battery  (cr2032) provide power to any nvram of BIOS? or just the RTC clock chip? I measured the old battery has 2.1volts, not completely dead. Not sure why it doesn't turn on. Is there any CMOS checksum caused by low voltage?

Can I use the laptop without CMOS battery plugged in? Just with laptop battery plugged in or power adapter. I need to order a new CMOS battery to replace.

Again, thanks for your suggestion.

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 9th, 2019 21:00

Wow @eversion that's great!!!!!

This is something that I just recently discovered for this series (E7xxx) of laptop.

I will check in the morning but I think that includes the (E5xxx) series also???

Glad you had a meter to read the voltage of the RTC/BIOS battery.

Not sure why it does this when the battery is low or dying??? "2v and below"

Yes you can run it without the battery but you may need to set the date and time every once in awhile???

I will get back to you in the AM about the (E5xxx) series???

Good work,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 10th, 2019 07:00

@eversion 

Just to confirm that the "E5xxx" series has the same problem.

So your E5440 may show the same symptoms in the future???

Regards,

U2

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

June 11th, 2019 18:00

@eversion 

I can't say for sure exactly what the threshold is but I laid in a good supply of new batteries.

I had stacks of dead "E7xxx" and "E5xxx" series laptops that the warehouse techs rejected.

They would have been sold for scrap/parts.

I saved over half by replacing the RTC/BIOS battery.

Makes me wonder how many we sold for scrap/parts in the past.

Best regards,

U2

3 Posts

June 11th, 2019 18:00

I took the CMOS battery out of E7440, and switched with CMOS battery from E5450. E5450 still works with the old battery, E7440 didn't work with either of the batteries. I guess E7440 has a lower threshold of voltage.

October 21st, 2019 06:00

Hi

can you tell me how i fix it. I already face this problem.

October 21st, 2019 06:00

Hi 

I also face this issue after removing the CMOS battery it turns on but a certain time this issue comes again and again

4 Operator

• 

6.2K Posts

October 21st, 2019 07:00

Welcome to the Dell Community @chabdulmuqsat 

I to have had that happen.

Make sure the BIOS is up to date.

Dell Latitude E7440 System BIOS:

https://www.dell.com/support/home/us/en/04/drivers/driversdetails?driverid=kdfy1&oscode=wt64a&productcode=latitude-e7440-ultrabook

Let me know if it helps???

Regards,

U2

October 21st, 2019 17:00

My Dell latitude e7440 has the lastest bios version A27.

June 24th, 2020 05:00

I have seen same issue since a week and my laptop didn't boot after removing cmos/bios battery also 

June 24th, 2020 05:00

I face this issue after updating bios with 28A latest update available at dell support and not turning on , by all the steps suggested above 

- remove battery ,all peripherals , power cable and BIOS battery 

- then plug the power cable and click power button 3times 

- it shows power light for 10-15 seconds and then battery led for 2 seconds 

What to know , is there any fault in firmware and how to recover it ??

Regards,

Pranjal

11 Posts

October 6th, 2020 15:00

PLEASE HELP. I am seeing this problem all over the internet!

I have the exact symptoms mentioned here. 

Bios was already updated to A28. CMOS battery was tested to have full charge.

This laptop was working perfectly, and it continues to work perfectly once I reset the CMOS every time it fails to turn on. It basically does not want to turn on with the battery once you leave it powered off long enough.

I have a few e7x40 in the hands of students and teachers right now who can't afford newer ones and really need them to work. 

What is really the problem? Was it a Windows Update? Bad Bios update? Bios setting? Should it be Legacy or UEFI? Please point us in the right direction.

@U2CAMEB4ME thank you for your help so far!

@pranjal1983 @eversion @chabdulmuqsat  did the issue persist for you all or resolved eventually?

October 6th, 2020 19:00

ccording to me e7440 looks like a faulty model , dell said it is a hardware issue , and local dell service center saod mother board need ro be replaced ,

i returned this model to seller and replaced with e6440 ( it is working good )

if you find this issie on YouTube ,there are lots of videos for e7xx0 with exact same issue

11 Posts

October 7th, 2020 07:00

Thank you bro, I guess I have to face the music.

No Events found!