Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

Y

April 24th, 2016 07:00

5510 - multimonitor support on 14.04?

Hi,

Has anyone managed to get multimonitor support running on the 5510 with Ubuntu 14.04?

How?

Thanks!

April 24th, 2016 13:00

Yes, I have. It doesn't work great, sometimes, when it goes to sleep, one of the screens goes off and never turns back on. I've had to reboot the laptop a couple of times to send the signal to both screens when it lost it. And I have had a couple of freezes, but I can't know for sure if that is correlated to the screens or maybe is a BIOS problem or something different.

Overall, I'd say it works fine and I use it daily. 2 27'' screens, one 1080p the other 1440p; the laptop screen on too (I found out that it is more stable this way as I used to turn it off), a wireless mouse and a wired keyboard.

The 1440p screen goes to the HDMI and the 1080p goes to a VGA-to-USB-C adapter that I bought on Amazon.

Good luck!

21 Posts

April 24th, 2016 23:00

Thanks!

Have you updated the kernel?

Do you see high CPU usage when working with both monitors?

21 Posts

May 1st, 2016 11:00

Hi,

Has anyone else had success with multi monitor support?

What's your HW?

Did you update the kernel?

Thanks!

May 9th, 2016 19:00

Hi,

Actually, it is working pretty well. I haven't upgraded the kernel, so I have only applied the suggested updates. My kernel is 3.19.0-58-generic, and my 5510 is an i5, with 16GB RAM, the big battery, 1080p screen and 256gb PCIe ssd.

I use it daily for several ours and very intensively. The occasional freezes are really annoying, but they are becoming more rare and it doesn't seem to be related to the screens.

I do not see any changes in CPU usage.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Santiago.

21 Posts

May 10th, 2016 00:00

Hi,

How often do you see the freezes?

Were you able to try a USB-C to HDMI / DVI connector?

Thanks!

May 10th, 2016 19:00

I've been seeing them way less lately. Maybe once or twice a week? But actually, I don't think I've seen one at least in a week. And like I said, they are totally random and cannot establish if there is any correlation between the freeze and the use of external monitors. And I use the laptop all day long and every day. It goes to suspend a couple of times a day and that does not gives me any problem (all while connected to the monitors).

No, I haven't tried a USB-C to HDMI. I Bough a USB-C to VGA and works flawlessly. Even better than the direct HDMI one I'm using for the 1440p monitor. Actually, is this second monitor the one that gives me more trouble (ACER 1440p connected through HDMI) because sometimes, when I resume from suspend or boot while is connected, it doesn't display anything. The other monitor (LG 1080p connected through USB-C ->VGA) has never given me any problems.

Let me know if you have any more questions.

Santiago.

No Events found!