Highlighted
Gert J
1 Nickel

Crash by software update on new XPS 13

I have just got my XPS 13 with ubuntu, and after the initial set up it was time for a major software update. Everything went fine until the installation of grub2-efi-amd64 (2.02-beta2-9ubuntu1). By doing this installation the process stop, and I had to restart and restore ubuntu.

I don't know in which packet include the grub2 file, So I it's difficult to avoid the specific update.

Can I get some help?

Gert

13 Replies
jamestomasino
1 Copper

RE: Crash by software update on new XPS 13

Similar problem happening to me as well. My initial set up didn't go as smoothly though. It crashed halfway through. The machine rebooted and put me into Unity, though, so I've been proceeding as if all is well.

0 Kudos
Gert J
1 Nickel

Later I did the same as you and also for me every thing seems to be ok.  

Gert

0 Kudos

Had the same exact thing happen to me. I'm slightly concerned that after I restarted and I ran the soft ware update again it said everything was up-to-date. I'm more inclined to think this is a false positive than the truth, any way to confirm?

0 Kudos
solowd
1 Copper

I'm having the same problem. The update is hanging on "Configuring grub-efi-amd64." I tried force closing it, but then the system would not reboot and I had to restore the factory image. 

It's hanging on this step again. What should I do?

b.essiambre
1 Copper

I also seem to have the same problem. I just received my new Dell XPS 13 with Ubuntu, ran the software updater and it seems to be stuck at  "Configuring grub-efi-amd64. The Software Updater window is grayed out.

What do I do?

0 Kudos
b.essiambre
1 Copper

After waiting for more than an hour the problem seems to have resolved itself. I noticed that there was a compiler process  "cc1" constantly running while Software Updater was frozen . Maybe this software component needs to compile for an hour an a half to install?

0 Kudos
knoebber
1 Copper

I would recommend doing a clean install of Ubuntu 15.04. I had the same problem you were describing, but now everything works great.

0 Kudos
tsolow
1 Nickel

was this issue ever solved?

any additional thoughts anyone?

i'm stuck at at configuring grub-efi-amd64

0 Kudos
tsolow
1 Nickel

Okay, I believe I solved this problem just by sudo apt-get update and then sudo apt-get install grub-efi-amd64 before running the software updater.

after running these commands i was prompted to either overwrite my current cfg for grub or keep my old one.  i chose to overwrite and the update worked fine and then I ran the software updater with no trouble.