Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 7th, 2016 01:00

Dell XPS 13 9350 USB-C HDMI: no signal

I have just received a brand new Dell XPS 13 (9350). It came preinstalled with Windows, but I switched to AHCI mode and installed Ubuntu 16.04 on it. After some issues with the Broadcom wifi drivers, I could finally start using the machine for work.

Now I am attempting to attach an external monitor (Dell 24") to the USB-C TB3 connector, and having nothing but trouble.

I started by purchasing a noname USB-C to HDMI adapter, this one:

When entering the Displays manager in Ubuntu, I cannot see the monitor at all.
Hotplugging or rebooting with the monitor connected makes no difference.

I did a BIOS upgrade to 1.4.4.
I upgraded to latest mainline kernel 4.6.5.
I have disabled Secure Boot and Thunderbolt user security in BIOS.
I have tried with a different external monitor.

Nothing has so far made any difference at all. I see nothing in dmesg or lspci that seems to identify any action or change I make with this adapter and monitor. I have spent a few days on this problem now.

Any ideas?

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 10th, 2016 01:00

I know it's not a very useful answer, but I have the XPS 13 9350 DE (with ubuntu 14.04 preinstalled), and I have manually installed a dual boot for testing ubuntu 16.04, and for both of them, the USB-C=>HDMI works fine (out of the box).

I have the Dell adapter (47KD7).

Though, it happens sometimes that it doesn't work after resume from suspend. Then I have to reboot.

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

August 10th, 2016 01:00

by the way, my kernel is 4.4.0-34-generic, in case you want to try

2 Posts

August 11th, 2016 02:00

Hey @vns35 - thanks for your reply. It's good to know that someone has it working at least.

However, I am disappointed that across these forums and many others (eg. ubuntuforums.orgbbs.archlinux.org, and even the Linux kernel and Freedesktop.org bug trackers (1, 2)) that there are so many issues related to USB-C and Thunderbolt 3 support, particularly on Linux, and that there seems to be no consistency - it's all hit and miss.

There is also some research done re. USB-C which indicates that the quality of adapters and cables out there varies widely (blog post 1, blog post 2), which further muddies the water.

I know this is new technology, but since Dell does sell the XPS 13 Developer Edition, I had not expected for basic things like connecting an external monitor to be an issue.

I have since tested a few more kernels, including the DRM Intel nightly mainline branch, and v4.8 from mainline as well, but with no luck so far.

I am now waiting for a USB-C <> DisplayPort adapter, which I have ordered in the hopes that this will work for me.

14 Posts

August 30th, 2016 11:00

Hi Achton,

I have an XPS 13 DE running Ubuntu 16.04. I am using a Club 3D USB-C to HDMI 2.0 adapter and it works fine for me (only tested at 1680x1050 - but should work at 4k).

You can find it here: http://www.pc-lager.dk/varegruppe.php?gruppe_id=0&tabType=textSearch&q=989971565

/Tommy

14 Posts

December 14th, 2016 07:00

Hi Tommy,

I'm looking for an adapter for my new XPS 13 9460. I bought a Windows edition due to cheaper price than DE. But I heard from Arch Linux that the hardware configuration between DE and Non-DE in 9360 is the same.

In any case, I install Fedora 25. I can confirm that everything works out of box except I'm not sure about USB Type-C port. I found the similar product in US amazon:

https://www.amazon.com/Club3D-Type-Active-Adapter-CAC-1504/dp/B016QO8186/ref=sr_1_fkmr0_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1481727442&sr=8-1-fkmr0&keywords=Club3D+CAC-1504+USB+3.1+Type+C+to+HDMI+2.0+3D+Active+Adapter

Can you confirm if the same gadget you refer to?

TIA

Ricky

3 Posts

February 7th, 2017 13:00

@vns35

Hey, I know this thread's old but I wanted to follow up:

Are you still receiving the on-suspend loss of the adapter, or have you found a solution? It's been driving me kind of crazy. I'm on a 9360 though.

28 Posts

February 12th, 2017 14:00

hi there,

iam using this adapter www.amazon.de/.../ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage

without any problems and i have a second one usb-c to dvi as well. my new phillips 258b (2k) is connected only via usb-c and it acts like a dock. my 9350 is running 14.04.5 and kernel 4.4

5 Practitioner

• 

274.2K Posts

February 14th, 2017 23:00

@dxcanas

no solution yet, the Dell usbc-hdmi "works" but is quite unstable:

* regular error messages in system log (dmesg) concerning i915_bpo

* freezes sometimes after suspend (but I don't experience this very often, because when I'm connected to HDMI it usually also means that I'm on AC power, and then the laptop does't go so sleep.

* not to mention Hi-DPI issues when switching a window from one monitor to the other.

No Events found!