Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

January 2nd, 2014 13:00

Issues with XPS13 Haswell i7

Dear Dell developers,

last week, I I've got a new shiny Dell XPS 13 (Sputnik 3), but I have some issues with it using pre-installed Ubuntu 12.04 LTS:

- the cpu fan is pretty noisy (if i don't do nothing, its noiseless, but if I press a key or use the touchpad, the fan is getting disturbing noisy). Is there a software or BIOS update available to fix this issue?

- watching flash videos in full hd resolution in Firefox is very painful, the cpu usage is getting up to 90%. I know there is a video acceleration available for the Haswell processors, but it's not installed by default. Do you have any plans to bring it to the XPS13 customers?

- do you have any plans to support newer Ubuntu versions or at least the new Intel graphics stack?

Thank you.

9 Posts

January 12th, 2014 05:00

Hi, I also have fan issues with my DELL XPS 13, have you found a solution?

http://en.community.dell.com/support-forums/laptop/f/3518/p/19524837/20500688.aspx#20500688

35 Posts

January 25th, 2014 07:00

i posted this on another question - google for i8kmon and follow the directions for enabling it.  it seemed to work for me.  ( fan used to run constantly, now it cycles only as needed )

January 30th, 2014 13:00

Yes, I'd be interested to hear any indication of if/when the graphics stack issues might be resolved? I'm keen to do some WebGL/Three.js work and this is impossible right now, even though it runs on pathetically low spec'd business PC! I also get the super slow full-screen video issues in Chrome too (oddly, the same videos, simply made large rather than full-screen seem to perform much better) 

As far as the fan goes, I  don't seem to have any issues myself (my XPS 13 DE has an i7). Sure, I've made the fan kick in at times but only makes a decent noise when I'd expect it and personally it doesn't seem that loud (even in the quiet of my flat)

350 Posts

January 30th, 2014 14:00

Isn't that a browser issue? If you're using Chrome (unsure about Chromium), check what chrome://gpu shows. On my systems, I typically go to chrome://flags and click enable on "Override software rendering list". That should enable either most or all hardware acceleration in Chrome (don't know if Firefox has a similar setting). Note that it potentially will affect Chrome's stability, though I rarely have that kind issue (and run Chrome beta).

By the way, it's usually a good idea to keep your BIOS version up-to-date since updates typically will include CPU microcode updates (including for the integrated GPU). You may also want to install the intel-microcode package too for good measure.

As far as fan speed, I don't really have that problem (Sandy and Ivy Bridge XPS 13 and Haswell M3800). But, one thing that helps my battery life is installing the laptop-mode-tools package. I also use powertop to profile power utilization if it seems like my system is running hot.

February 2nd, 2014 14:00

Thank you - you're quite right! With  "Override software rendering list" enabled, WebGL works great.

I was aware of the flags, but I'd been too hasty when I tried them - I didn't restart the browser, merely refreshing the page - your answer prompted me to go back and try more thoroughly!

Thanks also for the tips on the BIOS - I'll look into it soon

No Events found!