Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 16th, 2016 14:00

Linux power management on latest Dell XPS 13 and other Skylake-based

I bumped into a very interesting post about Linux power management on Skylake-based mobile CPUs. 

So I was wonder if Barton or someone can comment on this and if there is some work being done.

Thank

25 Posts

April 17th, 2016 12:00

Well my power consumption is not really bad. Actually I'm impressed by how well Barton and the team configured power management. I can easily get battery life comparable to the Windows 10 version (based on internet reviews and comments)

27 Posts

April 18th, 2016 08:00

I just checked powertop on my 5510 and it says I only have C1, C2, and C3 though the battery life is pretty good. I wonder if the other C states will become available with Ubuntu 16.04 and a newer kernel and if so will that make the battery life that much better??

9 Posts

April 18th, 2016 09:00

Not sure how much but it's certainly not taking full advantage of what's possible, and the alarming quote from Intel's datasheet that the article showcases ("Caution: Long term reliability cannot be assured unless all the Low-Power Idle States are enabled") is what makes me think twich about going for Skylake-based laptop. Although the quote maybe just for legal purposes. Anyway, would really appreciate if the devs can shed some light on this front.

27 Posts

April 22nd, 2016 08:00

I read some more into this and it looks like this issue doesn't affect Xeon (makes me glad I went with that!). Also, I just upgraded to 16.04 and the following C states are now available: C2, C3, C6, C7, C8, C9, and C10.

No Events found!