Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

E1

September 10th, 2018 07:00

Please add firmware updates for the XPS 2-in-1 to fwupd.org

Dear Sputnik team,

I am fully aware that the various XPS/Precision 2-in-1's are not officially supported under Linux. However, there are currently quite a few users using them nonetheless, and these laptops usually work beautifully under Linux. Remember that the more early adopters use these 2-in-1 devices under Linux, the better will be the support when/if you decide to do a Developper Edition at some point in the future.

So I would suggest that you add the latest firmwares to the fwupd.org database, like you already do for the regular XPS/Precision line (even for unsupported models!). You do not need to commit to support these laptops on Linux (they are already working fairly well), but allowing Linux users to use the standard fwupd utility to upgrade their firmware would probably be reasonably low-effort for you, and it would go a long way towards improving the user experience. Currently, the only possibility is to use Windows to do the upgrade.

Please add these 2-in-1 devices to the fwupd database!

Many thanks in advance

1 Rookie

• 

29 Posts

October 29th, 2018 05:00

Dear @Element-126.

It seems like you know which ubuntu repository should be added to update the firmware via fwupd.org. If you do know which repo to add could you please help me answer this question: https://www.dell.com/community/Linux-Developer-Systems/XPS-13-9350-does-not-update-BIOS-automatically/m-p/6205072/highlight/true#M8748

Thanks in advance.

March 12th, 2019 09:00

There is a Thunderbolt update for this device: https://fwupd.org/lvfs/device/8926f505-8219-5d6c-969a-e927534113fb

However, I have not seen any firmware update for the other components. This would be a good thing to have, given the current touchpad issues. I don't want to RMA my unit to get the touchpad firmware fixed.

2 Posts

April 18th, 2019 03:00

Ideally I would like firmware updates via fwupd to all the new Dell devices. I bought a Latitude 2-in-1 myself and one of the main reasons for choosing Dell was because I knew Dell has good Linux support generally and is part of the LVFS (which includes fwupd). If I had known that it won't work with all Dell models (or this one specifically) I would have opted for a Lenovo instead.

No Events found!