Highlighted
hummusw
1 Copper

XPS 15-9575 2-in-1, touchpad freezing

Jump to solution

I got my new laptop less than a month ago and have been very happy with it. However, I have noticed that there is sometimes a problem with the touchpad.

Occasionally, the touchpad will freeze and the cursor will stop moving. These freezes last from about half a second to many seconds. Now, this isn't a huge problem, but it is pretty annoying when it happens.

Anyone with the same problem or ideas on how to fix this problem?

Labels (3)
2 Solutions

Accepted Solutions
Highlighted
journalyoung
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15 2-in-1 9575 touchpad freezing

Jump to solution

Update: issue seems to include battery life... I'm running move mouse (https://github.com/sw3103/movemouse) to keep system from going asleep and otherwise have little running save only a chrome browser, outlook, skype and my battery dies at 3 to 3.5 hours (in "battery saver" mode even).

1. So now I have trackpad issues;
  2. Above requires me to kill driver for Radeon RX Vega M GL Graphics, so I can use trackpad, but means I lose driver features;
  3. Battery life @ 3.5 hrs max.

System is 1 week and 3 days from delivery. Hate to go thru return process, but looks like it is a must. Will forgo the 2 in 1 and try the 9570 model on account of bigger battery and different video card. Really wanted this one to work as I thought I might enjoy 2 in 1 feature and preferred the usb-c ports. 

Oh well.

View solution in original post

Highlighted
gm0n3y
1 Copper

Re: XPS 15-9575 2-in-1, touchpad freezing

Jump to solution

So I think I have finally actually solved this issue. Here is what I discovered.

1. Had the issue and thought a Bios update had fixed it. Problems started happening again a few days later.

2. Had the motherboard replaced by Dell because it was still under warranty. This fixed the problem completely for months.

3. A number of months later had the screen replaced due to bright white led bleed through of some sort on the screen. After screen replacement the problem cropped up again. This made me suspicious of the connectors. Maybe something was loose from the tech replacing the screen. I don't believe in coincidence when it comes to issues like this.

4. I take apart the laptop and find that the ribbon clip for the trackpad connector does not snap in very securely and the ribbon appears loose. I carefully re-seat the ribbon and firmly close the clip then close the laptop back up. Haven't had issues in over a week where as I use to have issues every day.

My conclusion is the ribbon clip is slightly defective and the ribbon cable does not stay firmly seated. Hopefully it will for a while because re-seating it is a bit cumbersome. I would not be surprised if you handle the laptop a little roughly it can jostle loose on it own. Hope folks find this helpful. Love the laptop but a little surprised Dell and their tech support haven't figured this out. You can find videos online about opening up this laptop and removing battery. From their the ribbon clip is very accessible.

View solution in original post

179 Replies
Highlighted
Suman-7
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have been getting this problem lately as well. 

Highlighted
dadach
1 Copper

Jump to solution

my problems are a bit more serious, but can you try to disable panel self-refresh in intel app power settings?

thanks!

Highlighted
hummusw
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Sure, I'll try it out and report my experience soon.

Highlighted
hummusw
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Disabling panel self-refresh didn't seem to change my problem of the touchpad freezing. I still had the problem occur occasionally.

Highlighted

Jump to solution

Hi, I have the same problem with my XPS 15 2-in-1 9575
The touchpad and some keys are freezing  after an  updating (I Think) 😞
Somebody have found a solution?

Highlighted
rjme224
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I have the same issue. Looks like a problem with the last bios update. No solution yet. 

Highlighted
rjme224
1 Copper

Jump to solution

Try going to device manager-> display adapters. I have a Radeon RX Vega graphics card. Right click and hit “update driver”. I updated the driver and haven’t noticed the trackpad issue since. Not to say that it won’t show up again, but so far so good. 

Highlighted
dementia79
2 Bronze

Jump to solution

I tried to update the graphics card (searching automatically) but I have the latest driver. Have the same trackpad freezing as well.

I also remote desktop to work from this PC, and the trackpad freezing is even worse when I am working on my remote computer (it freezes up on the remote, and it freezes up on my Dell too).

Very frustrating, especially since this is a new laptop I have only had for about a month.

Highlighted
blackfriar
1 Copper

Jump to solution

I rolled back my Radeon driver to 18.9.3. So far so good but I will update this entry with my experiences....