Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

October 1st, 2015 03:00

Random Kernel Oops at boot

Hi, I bought this laptop at day one just to discover that the Linux experience was terrific. I didn't use it for 6 months, then a few weeks ago I decided to give it another chance and I reinstalled Arch Linux.

I bought the one with QHD+ and the Intel wifi and I like to use bleeding edge software, so I don't care about old cruft like evdev and hda audio: I prefer to use libinput and I2S mode. The Linux experience so far has been almost perfect, except for a very big and annoying issue: random kernel Oops at boot. I tried to cohabit with them for a while, but suddently the pulse to trash it and buy a Lenovo X1 Carbon become higher and higher and so I decided to take action: I contacted Pro Support which told me to write in this forum about my issue.

I tested kernel 4.1.8, 4.2.1 and 4.3-rc3 and they are all affected.
Every time I turn on my laptop I have to boot several times to be able to reach the sddm login because often I get hangs which prevent the system to boot. Once booted I don't have any problem anymore, until the next boot.

With "acpi=off" the system boots flawlessly, while with "acpi=ht" I still get random hangs, so I guess the problem is in the ACPI table parsing code itself, or perhaps the SMP code.

I recompiled kernel 4.3-rc3 with CONFIG_ACPI_DEBUG=y and I attached full log from a serial console, booting with "debug acpi.debug_level=0x2003" (warn, error and tables debug enabled): https://bugzilla.kernel.org/show_bug.cgi?id=105251

Are you aware of this issue? Is upcoming bios A06 going to fix this? Can you reproduce it? Arch linux uses latest stable version of plain upstream code.

Let me know if I can help some way.

Thanks

11 Posts

October 7th, 2015 08:00

Noone? :(

No Events found!