Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 22nd, 2015 17:00

Trackpad issue

Just received my XPS 13 today and it looks great.

Unfortunately there's one persistent problem that's driving me so crazy it might be a deal breaker. When navigating with the trackpad the cursor jumps around like crazy when I attempt to click using the primary button, then when I go to adjust the cursor it won't respond at all because my thumb is resting on the bottom of the trackpad where the primary button is.

Has anyone else run into this? Are there any official or unofficial solutions? I seen some solutions that break other things, like the audio, that just aren't very appealing. My temporary solution is to use tapping to click, but really prefer to use a combination of clicking and tapping.

11 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 22:00

Yep -- same is happening here. Look in /var/log/syslog and you'll see messages like "psmouse serio1: TouchPad at isa0060/serio1/input0 lost sync at byte 1"

I'm pretty surprised that it arrived behaving like this. It's certainly a known issue

11 Posts

April 22nd, 2015 23:00

I just upgraded to kernel 3.19.5 and the trackpad issue went away! So there is hope.

Unfortunately my wireless adapter stopped working. In any case, the fix for this is probably going to involved a kernel upgrade.

26 Posts

April 23rd, 2015 12:00

There shouldn't be trackpad issues like you describe on 14.04 specifically with the developer edition, but if you are having issues maybe there is a factory problem still.  A few tips:

1) Contact prosupport, let them know and they can dig into what's going on.

2) You can add the kernel command line option psmouse.resetafter=0.

3) Upgrade to the 3.19 kernel as mentioned above from 15.04.  The Broadcom wireless package in 15.04 does work as well.  

4) Jump to 15.04.  Broadcom wireless is not installed on the live image, but I believe gets installed for you if it's detected it's needed.

Thanks for the info, pinmode. I would attempt the kernel upgrade but I don't know what's worse, an inconsistent cursor or no wireless adapter.

Just a FYI, I tried 15.04 (Live) which seemed to resolve the trackpad issues (didn't notice any random cursor jumps to the corners) but there was no sound as well as no wireless adapter.

At this point, I'm sort of at a loss for what to do.

11 Posts

Yeah, this is lame. 

I've been directed to contact ProSupport on the other related thread that I started about this. Clearly the machines weren't tested before shipping. 

April 23rd, 2015 13:00

Mario,

Thanks for the quick response and suggestions. I'll give them a shot and report back.

April 23rd, 2015 17:00

So I just upgraded the kernel and that seems to have resolved the trackpad issues. The only nagging issue is that even with the "Disable While Typing" enabled I'm still getting a bunch of random mouse clicks while typing because it's recognizing the heel of my palm as a finger.. Any suggestions other than playing around with the Synaptics touchpad settings?

11 Posts

April 23rd, 2015 23:00

How exactly did you upgrade the kernel? Were you able to do that seamlessly without having to rely on ethernet while the wireless driver was updated?

11 Posts

April 24th, 2015 00:00

Resolution: added psmouse.resetafter=0 boot option.

Also separately, the default touchpad tap response time is pretty slugglish and can be changed to be more responsive with "synclient SingleTapTimeout=1"

11 Posts

And your wireless adapter continued working?

For the kernel upgrade I just consulted with this.

http://ubuntuhandbook.org/index.php/2015/03/upgrade-kernel-3-19-3-ubuntulinux-mint/

It was very straight forward and painless.

April 24th, 2015 01:00

Yes it's working just fine.

Though an additional new feature popped up :) I currently can't right (secondary) click with anything other than a mouse. I've tried both tapping, clicking, AND holding the right control button (which has a contextual menu icon on it) and doing a primary click. None seem to be working. When I go to the Mouse & Touchpad System Settings and go into Test Your Settings none of the above mentioned trackpad attempts registers a click of the Secondary Button, only right clicking the USB mouse does.

EDIT: A two finger click or tap on the trackpad seems to register as a secondary click.

I'll give this a shot tomorrow:

http://askubuntu.com/questions/579645/right-click-on-synaptic-touchpad-not-working-on-ubuntu-14-10

But any other suggestions for this or the annoying trackpad movement while typing would be greatly appreciated!

UPDATE: Total newb, I need to play around with the synclient settings.

April 25th, 2015 00:00

Came across this today to get the wireless adapter working in 15.04 if you still need help...

www.reddit.com/.../cqmf27h

April 25th, 2015 10:00

What settings did you end up with for synclient? I currently can't click and drag a window after performing the kernel update, among other oddness.

April 25th, 2015 14:00

I'm currently doing that via a double-tap and drag. Does anyone know if this trackpad would support a click and drag?

No Events found!