Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 1st, 2016 01:00

Update on XPS 13/15 2016 Developer Edition availability

Any news on the availability for any of the new XPS machines in a Developer Edition?

And do you know exactly what specifications will be used? I.e. 13? 15? Ram/screen/etc.?

Thanks, Phil.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

February 24th, 2016 08:00

@bfsworks,

Thanks for your patience and support! 

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

February 24th, 2016 08:00

Elax75,

thanks for the support! :-)

46 Posts

February 24th, 2016 12:00

Any thoughts on whether the new XPS will be orderable in the US before the $100-off coupons expire this week? :emotion-5:

2 Posts

February 24th, 2016 13:00

Is there any chance we could get an updated guide on how to get Linux running on the XPS 13 9350? Looks like quite some people are struggling with the problems related to wifi support, BIOS updates, SSD mode, safe boot... Personally I did not expect to encounter that many problems on a laptop whose previous version was actually shipped with Ubuntu preinstalled :) After a week of struggles to get everything working on this machine I updated the BIOS to the latest version and I am not able to boot Ubuntu anymore.... If you could share a bit of the knowledge you have built working on the Developer Edition it could be EXTREMELY HELPFUL :)

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

February 25th, 2016 07:00

Jefish,

Stay tuned, we're hard at work :)

27 Posts

February 25th, 2016 09:00

dthiery
That's awesome to hear! I seem to remember you've said that the drivers are in a directory (possibly debs) on the system. As long as I have a copy hove those drivers can I do a fresh install of 15.10 (or 16.04 when it's released) and just install those drivers?
Without having tested ourselves, that's hard to answer. The biggest issue is Type C support.

My 5510 was just delivered today and love it! I especially love the Ubuntu sticker :) 

I was looking for the directory with the drivers and couldn't find it, do you know where it is?  Also, I know Dell only uses LTS versions of Ubuntu so does that mean there will be a version of 16.04 available and if so, will there be an image made available for upgrading?

350 Posts

February 25th, 2016 12:00

My 5510 was just delivered today and love it! I especially love the Ubuntu sticker :) 

Awesome!

I was looking for the directory with the drivers and couldn't find it, do you know where it is?  Also, I know Dell only uses LTS versions of Ubuntu so does that mean there will be a version of 16.04 available and if so, will there be an image made available for upgrading?

There's a partition that contains the recovery media. It's the same contents as you'd find when you create recovery media. There's a directory in root of the recovery media/partition with all the debs.

25 Posts

February 25th, 2016 13:00

Do you already know if there will be a DE with new Intel Iris Graphics and i7 6560U?

It seems you didn't see my question. Since you reviewed the status now i'm sure you can say something about the configurations :P

February 25th, 2016 14:00

Hi!

I literally just got my shinning new Dell Precision 5510 with Ubuntu. I haven't been able to test it thoroughly yet, but so far is working like a charm! The machine is beautiful and Ubuntu is working great. I love the sticker too.

On the next few days, I'll probably post some questions, like for example, what types of updates can I do not messing with the configuration. Also, I noticed that there are a lot of 'additional drivers' enabled, I wouldn't want to mess something up by making a clean install.

Anyway, I just wanted to take the time to thank you Jared, Barton and the hole team. This is a superb laptop and is running Ubuntu seamlessly. I know you have putted a lot of effort and it shows. Thank you so much. It is such a nice thing to have one of the best machines on the market working with ubuntu natively. I hope project Sputnick only grows from here.

Best,

Santiago.

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

February 25th, 2016 14:00

That's awesome Santiago!  Glad you like it and thanks for the kind words.

Out of curiosity, which country are you in? 

February 25th, 2016 18:00

I'm in the US, in Chicago.  And bought it in Feb 19, so it got super fast!

Question: Are there some updates that I should avoid or not do?

6 Posts

February 26th, 2016 03:00

Hi Barton,

Ubuntu on the Precision 5510 is still unavailable online in France (see here). Do you have any update about futur availability ?

I try to order by phone, but the salesperson also had no infos on it. He mentions the possibility to configure the PC with "Freedos" and said it might be what I'm looking for. Can you confirm or not if FreeDos = Ubuntu ? (I'm not sure, but I think you mentioned something like that in this thread).

Thanks,

Romain

8 Posts

February 26th, 2016 06:00

Also, I know Dell only uses LTS versions of Ubuntu so does that mean there will be a version of 16.04 available and if so, will there be an image made available for upgrading?

I pretty much asked the same thing in another thread (http://en.community.dell.com/techcenter/os-applications/f/4613/t/19676621) and there has been no answer as of yet.  Maybe the members of the Project Sputnik team themselves do not know.  Or maybe they are not permitted to answer. :emotion-40:

I had already ordered, received, and returned a Precision 5510 (it had Windows 10 on it, although that wasn't the main reason I returned it).  If I were to know that the Precision 5510 would eventually have Ubuntu 16.04 pre-installed, then I would rather wait until after April and order again.

21 Posts

February 26th, 2016 06:00

Hey Romain, i've had the same experience with Dell customer service in France (je suis français aussi) and was the one who brought the issue in this thread. Jared from the sputnik team replied that it does not make sense since they're not doing FreeDOS anymore... I guess it means customer service does not know what Ubuntu is. And this is not reassuring at all... Don't know what else to do but wait...

Cheers,

Axel

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

February 26th, 2016 07:00

Romain and Axel,

Let me check with our folks in Europe.  My understanding is that the 5510 w/Ubuntu should be available in France.

Thanks for the heads up and stay tuned!

No Events found!