Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

February 12th, 2013 07:00

XPS 13 USB issue

Hi all,

I'm experiencing some problems with the USB 2.0 left port on my XPS 13 using Ubuntu 12.04 (sputnik). Symptoms are the following:

-if I connect external drive, nothing happens (It works if connected on the right USB)

-if I connect my wireless mouse, it works but with a short range (using the right port the range is about many meters)

-if I connect my Android phone, no Android Debug is activated (debug works on right side)

-but...if I connect an USB stick storage.....it works!

Can you help me to figure out this? I've also updated my BIOS to A07 but nothing changed!

Thanks in advance

31 Posts

August 12th, 2013 21:00

alpha86, I am using 12.04, including the Sputnik ppa, fully up to date.

40 Posts

August 12th, 2013 23:00

I am on 12.04 LTS, don't plan on changing any time soon. Sadly, I don't own any USB 3.0 hard drives, I'll see if I can find one.

14 Posts

August 13th, 2013 01:00

I'm using 12.04 LTS as well :)

I'm not sure how to proceed with this. It's really sad that no dell representative is around to provide some feedback/solution.

Anyway, I have just posted on the support forum as well:

en.community.dell.com/.../19520973.aspx

3 Posts

August 15th, 2013 17:00

Since someone asked: I have a brand new Dell XPS 13 running windows 7 pro and I'm having issues with External HDDs - they disconnect and reconnect randomly. I had a dual display dock, with hub plugged in to the left port, with external hdd, and another hdd plugged directly into the right, port. The hdd in the right was always fine (regardless of which one it was) but the one plugged in to the dock kept disconnecting under load (large copies etc), I thought it was a problem with the dock, but this thread might show otherwise. I've just tried plugging the dock into the right usb port and both drives into the dock. Just initiated a large copy (500gb or so) will report back if it finishes, hasn't managed yet with the previous set up).

BTW the drives are Samsung M3 1tb and WD My Passport Ultra 2tb.

I've done all the usual suggestions: I've updated all the drivers, and disabled all the relevant power management options.

Copy finished fine, with no problems.

I guess I have the left USB port issue too :(

40 Posts

August 16th, 2013 09:00

OK, I have found the same issue on my machine as well. If I plug my Microsoft mouse wireless receiver into the right USB port there is no reception issue, if I plug it on the left side, instead, the cursor starts lagging if the mouse is 1m away. I have read someone else is having this same problem on the XPS 13.

14 Posts

August 16th, 2013 10:00

rtozer: thanks for reporting, especially from Windows side. Can I ask are the hard drives USB2 or USB3?  Also, do you have any problems if the HDD are connected directly to the left USB port without the dock?

frapontillo: yea ziby and I had the same issue with wireless mouse as well. The behavior is just really weird, when I first encounter it,  I really thought it's time to replace my mouse.

Anyway, I have filed a bug report here for Dell sputnik launchpad :

bugs.launchpad.net/.../1213148

We should probably start to report all symptoms and failure scenarios/devices to the launchpad page.

3 Posts

August 16th, 2013 11:00

Both drives are USB 3.0, and yes, it happens with the left usb port without the dock too.

I suspect this is a data issue though, dropped packets or something, NOT power. My hub is powered.

The drives don't actually fully dismount either, I don't hear the device plugged/unplugged sound. So it probably doesn't have any effect unless you're running a large copy or something. I guess most people aren't even noticing. Unfortunately for me, both my drives are encrypted with truecrypt, and truecrypt dismounts when this happens, so it's making them pretty much unusable on the left. port.

Also, all the other devices on the dock were working fine on the left port, perhaps they're less susceptible to dropped packets? The dock had a CD ROM, logitech unifying receiver and my android phone plugged in to it (all on usb 2) and 2 screens (displaylink), as well as audio (speaker jack), when it was in the left usb port,  and all  were working fine.

My XPS is the same spec as the dev machine, 8gb ram, i7, 512gb ssd etc.

40 Posts

August 17th, 2013 08:00

Oh BTW, the left USB appears to have no issues under Windows 8...

3 Posts

August 17th, 2013 09:00

I have a second generation sputnik and both ports are working well under Fedora 19. In fact everything runs great out o the box except for the screen brightness. I have to ' echo 0 > /sys/class/backlight/intel_backlight/brightness' then the brightness controls work.

14 Posts

August 17th, 2013 10:00

Thanks frapontillo! That's the most critical test that I have always wanted to do. You have a dual boot machine?

So with your test result (also I don't see such issue in xps13 windows user forum),  I'm pretty sure this is not a hardware fault and most probably lies on Ubuntu. I wonder if this issue occurs at 13.04 or kernel 3.8.. I'll probably try it soon.

rtozer: I'm not sure if your issue is related now. I see you have a unifying receiver! Can you help test if the unifying receiver is plugged into left USB directly (without hub), does your mouse work at roughly the same range if you would had plugged into the right USB?

pot8oe: thanks, it seems this issue is related to a specific version of Ubuntu then. yeah, the brightness issue is bugging almost every xps13 :) I heard it's fixed in the newest kernel

40 Posts

August 17th, 2013 10:00

Yes, I have installed Windows 8 for the only purpose of testing the plethora of issues I've been having since first booting the PC. I have also informed Dell of my intention of returning the laptop, I have already lost two weeks of productivity because of those problems.

3 Posts

August 18th, 2013 04:00

The unified receiver appears to be working fine in the left port. It did take over a minute to detect and install drivers when I plugged it in, but the mouse still works from across the room. no jumping or anything. I'll leave it there for a while and see how it goes.

I imagine my issue is related. It's too much of a coincidence that there is a problem with the left USB port. Perhaps it just manifests differently with different OS/driver combinations.

3 Posts

August 18th, 2013 06:00

Latest kernel (3.10.7-200) & updates on Fedora 19 and screen brightness is working correctly. You should all be installing Fedora 19 ;-)

1 Message

March 31st, 2014 14:00

I have the similar issue too with and an XPS 13 and a Brand new DisplayLink powered Hub.: The screans keep switching back and forth with the hub " display link" conected to the right hand side USB, but only when some sort of movie es played such as Youtube, Quick time , some times with ACAD. Already performed all proceedures from Displaylink. Is there anything we can check such as drivers etc.

1 Message

June 17th, 2014 07:00

EXACTsame problem with 2 brand new xps 13....

No Events found!