Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

May 3rd, 2015 17:00

XPS13 Developer Edition - Sleep issue causing overheating

Has anyone else closed the lid on their XPS and had it not go to sleep consistenly?

This has happened to me a few times so far, and I can't figure out what may be causing it. This is particularly problematic because there are no external cues on the machine indicating when it is actually sleeping (e.g. the flashing light on Macbooks). This is a BIG deal when the machine is plugged in and cooks on my desk for hours (because its not draining the battery). It's also pretty annoying when its in my laptop bag, which resulting in an overheated laptop and dead battery.

This has happened about 5 times in the two weeks I've owned the computer. I'm really concerned about doing long term damage to the battery and the machine. Any help or insight would be greatly appreciated.

May 4th, 2015 00:00

To add on to this...

When this happens the machine gets extremely hot, locks, up and the caps lock LED starts flashing. The only thing to do at this point is do a hard reset (hold down the power button). I've also noted that as of my last post, putting it the machine in suspend mode sometimes results in the freeze with the caps lock key blinking, although no overheating. I'm stumped as to what the heck is going on...

3 Posts

May 6th, 2015 05:00

This has been happening to me. At first when I was on the stock Ubuntu 14.04 LTS that came with the machine, it would just not wake from sleep reliably. I loaded Ubuntu 15.04 on to see if an updated kernel would help, and now it is doing what you describe, and the caps lock key is flashing when I open the lid.

Have you changed from the stock Ubuntu image at all?

May 6th, 2015 10:00

I'm currently running the stock Ubuntu 14.04 LTS with the updated kernel to address the trackpad issues.

2 Posts

May 6th, 2015 21:00

This exact thing is happening to me as well.  I have a 2015 Dell XPS 13 9343 that came stock with Windows 8.1.  I immediately dual booted it with Ubuntu 14.04 which I was having lots of trouble getting to work, and so I tried again with 15.04 which I am now successfully running.  However, I get the same symptoms when suspending; locked up, overheating, with the flashing caps lock key.  I just walked back from class after suspending and putting it in my backpack, and it was almost too hot to touch.

May 10th, 2015 11:00

This has happened to me once so far.  I've had the machine about a week.  I have not been able to reproduce it.  Scared me.  Would love to hear some response from the Devs on this one.

3 Posts

May 10th, 2015 19:00

So, best experience so far: Ubuntu Gnome 15.04. use tweak tool to set lid close to hibernate (not suspend) and it works like a charm! I left it for two days in hibernate and when i opened it i had an almost full battery and it had obviously been off the whole time.

Two of us in our office are using this setup and it is working the best of any other combo we have tried.

we have tried:

1. Debian jessie
  2. Stock Ubuntu
  3. Ubuntu 15.04
  4. OpenSuse
  5. Ubuntu Gnome 15.04

- Tor

May 11th, 2015 02:00

Not sure if Unity Tweak Tool is any different in 15.04 vs 14.04, but I'm not seeing that option.

15 Posts

May 11th, 2015 04:00

I experienced this issue when I installed TLP - disabling it solved the suspend problem (but obviously battery life suffers - I'm still to play with powertop and other power saving utilities to find a solution that works reliably).

My suspicion is that somehow the Broadcom driver does not play well with TLP, so having changed it to an Intel module I will give TLP another try. It just takes a lot of time to experiment with all the options to find out which works best for you :(

Also, there are some interesting improvements in the works for future kernels, see https://mjg59.dreamwidth.org/34868.html

1 Message

June 11th, 2015 07:00

I also experience this issue several times a week. It drains more than 25% of the battery in under an hour.

I did all the upgrades (kernel, trackpad, ...) and still on 14.04.

2 Posts

June 11th, 2015 09:00

A temporary fix I have found is to disable WiFi and then manually click suspend. It hasn't happened since I started doing this. Yeah it's a bit annoying to have to do this every time I close it, but it's better than having it freeze up and drain the battery.

I think this further confirms its an issue related to the network card.

80 Posts

June 11th, 2015 09:00

This has not happened to me, even when I had the OEM broadcom wifi/bt card. It sounds like when you close your lid, your machine is never actually going to sleep at all (as opposed to going to sleep but somehow waking up on its own). Which means something is preventing it from sleeping. Check system logs like dmesg etc. - you may see something saying it's blocked from sleeping.

I suggest putting it to sleep before you close it - click the power button or use the desktop toolbar. That way it's still open and if it doesn't sleep you'll know it.

BTW, I configured mine to do nothing when the lid is closed. When I want to sleep it, I do it explicitly from the desktop toolbar or the power button. So far, it's never refused to sleep. I run Ubuntu14.04, kernel 3.19, and the Unity desktop is installed but I use XFCE 4.12.

3 Posts

June 11th, 2015 10:00

I agree. I have found that the lid close isn't working correctly for Ubuntu. Lid close did work for OpenSUSE tumbleweed.

My current setup is this, and is working 95% of the time (good for linux on a laptop):

1. Ubuntu Desktop 15.04
  2. Gnome Desktop installed
  3. 4.1rc6 mainline kernel from .deb package
  4. Patched and recompiled bcm .deb for the 4.1 kernel
  5. Lid configured to do nothing
  6. Manually run pm-suspend

Works like a charm, suspend works great!

The only other thing I found is that it doesn't work so great to suspend with an external monitor plugged in if you resume without the monitor, or vice versa.

80 Posts

June 11th, 2015 11:00

The only other thing I found is that it doesn't work so great to suspend with an external monitor plugged in if you resume without the monitor, or vice versa.

Oh, you mean that horrible loud urgent beeping noise? Yeah. I always make sure I've got the lid open and external monitor disconnected when booting or waking from sleep.

1 Message

June 23rd, 2015 19:00

Might be too early to tell, but I wrote a script to automatically disable WiFi (actually, the network-manager service) right before suspend and to restart it when opening.  You have to make a file in `/etc/pm/sleep.d` with content:

#!/bin/sh

case "$1" in
    suspend)
        service network-manager stop
        ;;
    resume)
        service network-manager restart
        ;;
    *)
        ;;
esac

so far, no issues :)

June 24th, 2015 06:00

It's an Interesting work, though

What about disabling Intel smart connection on BIOS? Ever since the feature turned off, which I have no expectation for its' usefulness, I have never experienced the problem again. It won't try to wake up WIFI while the system is sleeping and naturally needless to turn toff and on the network-manager.

No Events found!