Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

March 19th, 2015 22:00

XPS13 and windows 7 touchpad

Noticing input lag both for the mouse and keyboard in windows 7.. trackpad is really bad (buttons fire unexpectedly, or not at all) -- I suspect for the same reasons they are glitchy in linux (something about the controller corrupting the mouse data)..

My question is, will these issues be addressed with a bios update / driver which will support win 7 as well?

When I first picked this up the Dell rep confirmed win 7 drivers were available but as it stands this is really unusable.. 

So now the countdown is on before I return it :/

350 Posts

March 20th, 2015 09:00

Do you have ProSupport? Do you have a case open with them?

7 Posts

March 20th, 2015 10:00

i seem to have "Premium Hardware and Software Support" but not sure how to open a case? the support page just talks about analyzing my system...

ive since recovered back into windows 8 only to discover the touchpad issues remain. in win8 the mouse also shows as ps2 but i had read somewhere it should be HID.. not too sure why that is

also just discovered a firmware update for the touchpad released today but when i run it in windows 8 it says a synaptics driver is required which is not installed..

really frustrated with this thing, its unusable when accidentally clicking things.. 

going to try putting 7 back on with the synaptics driver to see if that lets me run the firmware. i hope that does the trick :/

4 Posts

March 20th, 2015 11:00

Hello Tyler,

To open a case you would just need to call 1-866-876-3355. It will have you enter the express service code for your system and will automatically direct you to the correct queue. One of the agents will open a case for you and help you resolve your issue.

7 Posts

March 20th, 2015 11:00

thanks chris!

will try to update the thread with the result 

7 Posts

March 22nd, 2015 10:00

i have spoken with dell yet but thought i would update the thread that the new firmware did the trick!

(so far, so good anyway)

after flashing the firmware i installed win 7 and the native ms driver is working fine. i would like to install the dell driver now to get the extra settings but im a little hesitant to mess with it.. :)

7 Posts

March 29th, 2015 13:00

aftter a few days of use, i have to conclude, the issues remain (although they are not as prevalent)

as is, the laptop is unsuable. im a programer, so i cannot have the cursor jumping around my code while typing lol

i regret it, because the laptop is so light and looks so nice, but i will be returning it

in fact i feel like dell owes me for all the hours ive wasted trying to fix this, when they obviously shipped something that was not ready.

best regards

7 Technologist

• 

538 Posts

March 29th, 2015 15:00

Hi Tyler,

The reason why we havent shipped the developer edition yet is because of the issues you mention above.  We are hoping to have the developer edition available either this week or next (fingers crossed)

thanks!

Barton

15 Posts

March 30th, 2015 10:00

Oh no! Are there alternative adapters you can suggest that would work with Ubuntu, or will I not be able to have these ports at all with this laptop? Unfortunately that would be a deal breaker for me :(

Thank you.

Edit: You specifically mentioned USB 3.0. Do you know if the 2.0 version works well? http://www.amazon.com/Plugable-Graphics-2048x1152-1920x1200-DisplayLink/dp/B0038P1TP4

Some more discussions:
Ethernet - https://www.reddit.com/r/Ubuntu/comments/1vmad6/any_usbethernet_adapter_you_know_it_works_good/

HDMI - (Reviews says it works) http://www.amazon.com/Sabrent-2048x1152-1920x1200-DisplayLink-USB-HRHD/dp/B008S08ADI

Looks like it's possible, but will require multiple adapters. If you have any better suggestions, please let me know!

15 Posts

> We are hoping to have the developer edition available either this week or next (fingers crossed)

Thank you for the update. I am looking forward to it.

May I confirm that the Dell Adapter will work properly with Ubuntu, such that I can use the Ethernet, VGA, and HDMI ports?

All the best.

350 Posts

> We are hoping to have the developer edition available either this week or next (fingers crossed)

Thank you for the update. I am looking forward to it.

May I confirm that the Dell Adapter will work properly with Ubuntu, such that I can use the Ethernet, VGA, and HDMI ports?

All the best.

Unfortunately, it will not as DisplayLink, the company whose chip is in the Dell Adapter, has not committed to Linux drivers for their USB 3.0 dock chips. It's the same issue was with the Dell D3000 and D3100 USB 3.0 docks. Perhaps in the future they will consider our request.

350 Posts

March 30th, 2015 11:00

I'm not sure about that adapter from Plugable.

However, what exactly do you need? For ethernet, we sell a USB 3.0 ethernet adapter. I believe this is the same one we ship with the M3800 (but don't have mine on me to verify): http://accessories.dell.com/sna/productdetail.aspx?c=ca&l=en&s=bsd&cs=cabsdt1&sku=443-BBBD

I've also seen USB ethernet adapters that have USB hubs built-in if you need more USB ports too.

For video, what are your requirements? Note that the 2015 XPS 13 has a mini-DisplayPort port that supports MST so can hook up to a couple monitors if you chain them. You can also get a mini-DP to HDMI adapter if you need HDMI (or mini-DP to VGA if you need that). Honestly, this is preferable since you're using the laptop's video acceleration instead of that on a portable hub like the Dell Adapter. (Have I mentioned that "Dell Adapter" is a terrible name from a SEO perspective?)

15 Posts

March 30th, 2015 16:00

Thanks for the suggestions!

> I've also seen USB ethernet adapters that have USB hubs built-in if you need more USB ports too.

A search for "usb to ethernet" on Amazon shows a lot of results with extra USB ports, and some of them explicitly mention supporting Linux, so that's a done deal!

> You can also get a mini-DP to HDMI adapter if you need HDMI (or mini-DP to VGA if you need that). Honestly, this is preferable since you're using the laptop's video acceleration instead of that on a portable hub like the Dell Adapter.

That's a good point. I completely forgot about the Mini DisplayPort -- I don't have any devices with it and am used to using HDMI. I can certainly get a Mini DP to HDMI converter.

> "Dell Adapter" is a terrible name from a SEO perspective

Hehe, indeed =)

Thanks for your time.

76 Posts

October 21st, 2015 15:00

It appears that DisplayLink has a new Ubuntu driver available:  

http://www.displaylink.com/downloads/ubuntu.php

No Events found!