Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

August 25th, 2015 23:00

XPS13, displayport and VGA projector

I am having trouble connecting my XPS13 DE (Ubunutu 15.04) with a VGA-projector.

(Unfortunately, it is not the only problem with the XPS!)

I am using a standard mac DP-VGA convertor.

Sometimes my linux desktop comes up for a second on the projected screen, but then disappears again.

Searching a bit, this might be it:

"the explanation runs on the line that the mini display to vga from
apple, is passive, where there is also 'active' versions of the same
connector. The recommendation was to buy an 'active' conector en
voila, everything workout."
http://superuser.com/a/756523/488121

Can anyone confirm having success with a VGA/DP convertor?

Which model should I use?

350 Posts

August 26th, 2015 09:00

I've used passive DP->VGA adapters many times with this system without a problem (well, aside when I've tried projecting from VirtualBox :P). The ones I've used are the ones we have here in the Dell conference rooms, so I'm not 100% on the model number (at home at the moment), but I recall them being Dell branded. I've used other brand ones as well before. They were all passive. I'd know if they were active adapters because those need to be powered, and these were not.

14 Posts

August 26th, 2015 09:00

Thanks!

Meanwhile, I bought a club 3D active converter (CAC-1102).

This indeed seems to work without problems. So, it looks likes the "active" feature is the key here.

350 Posts

August 26th, 2015 20:00

Huh, I was not aware of active adapters pulling power from a DisplayPort link. The active DP->DVI adapters have to get power from another source, as do the active HDMI->DP adapters. I guess I'll have to take notice of what models of adapters we use in the office.

74 Posts

August 31st, 2015 09:00

If you sometimes see picture on the second monitor, then it also just might be that the timings aren't quite right (it shows that it can output analogue signal via passive adapter at least) - so if you still have that passive adapter you might check the mode it is using and might try a different refresh rate or resolution.

14 Posts

August 31st, 2015 14:00

Unfortunately, I no longer have the old converter.

When connecting the screen came up briefly and then disappeared again, not to return after that.

I am not sure this could have been caused by the  refresh rate or the resolution, but thanks for the suggestion in any case.

74 Posts

November 3rd, 2015 09:00

@Dell-Jared D:

Did you check what type of adapter you used? Or put otherwise:

Is it possible to use a passive miniDP → VGA adapter with the early 2015 XPS13?

Or does it have to be an active adapter (that then can also be one that draws power via the miniDP connection instead of USB)?

EDIT: just noticed that the Apple miniDP → VGA adapter is supposed to be an active adapter, but when I tried with that the system didn't recognize the monitor.. Need to retry...

350 Posts

November 3rd, 2015 15:00

Did you check what type of adapter you used?

I'm sorry. I forgot to.

No Events found!