abrahm
1 Nickel

RE: cumulative *open* issues on XPS 13 (9360)

I'm no longer convinced that the touchpad issues are fully resolved even after properly configuring drivers.

0 Kudos
daneel.olivaw
1 Nickel

Hi there,

Thanks for this thread, I think it's a good way to keep the information in one place instead of spread all around.

I got a 9360 a week ago and after some use the touchpad issue is the one I feel most frustrated about. Even though I'm not experiencing issues such as jumpy cursor or frozen after using a textbox, my issue is after getting back from suspended state and in few cases right after selecting some text and right clicking to copy (this happened only a couple of times). But by far the suspend issue is the worse. Sometimes I need to restart/shutdown the laptop a few times till I get the cursor back.

I tried the workaround described here: https://ubuntuforums.org/showthread.php?t=2316240 but unfortunately it doesn't fix the issue.

Running xinput I get the following output:

⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ ELAN Touchscreen id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ DLL075B:01 06CB:76AF Touchpad id=12 [slave pointer (2)]

although I seem to recall that previously I also had a fourth entry from Synaptics.

0 Kudos
daneel.olivaw
1 Nickel

Just to be clear, my current xinput output after disabling the above patch is:

⎡ Virtual core pointer id=2 [master pointer (3)]
⎜ ↳ Virtual core XTEST pointer id=4 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ DLL075B:01 06CB:76AF Touchpad id=10 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ SynPS/2 Synaptics TouchPad id=14 [slave pointer (2)]
⎜ ↳ ELAN Touchscreen id=16 [slave pointer (2)]

Unfortunately disabling SynPS/2 didn't help with the touchpad issue, so I've disabled the patch.

0 Kudos
rickyzhang
1 Nickel

• External monitor (TV) via USB-C to HDMI seems fine at 1080 resolution (what I set my QHD display to in any case). Lost edges very slightly, but mirroring seems to work as expected

I'm looking for USB-C adapter to my external monitor. Can you post a link about the adapter you buy?

TIA

0 Kudos
wgunruh
1 Nickel

I have a Linke usb-c to vga adapter , and my OS is Mageia 6(alpha) with 4.8.12 kernel. 

Linux sees the screen (FHD) as only having 1980x1024 resolution. When I plug in the adapter to a computer projector, only the top left part of the screen shows (ie about 1200x800 of the screen I see on the laptop). Neither xrandr nor the kcmshell5 kscreen ( which is supposed to be a display setting gui from KDE) see the extra monitor at all. They still think there is just one display connected, even though it (or part of it) is also projecting. 

The DA200 dongle of Google does not work with my FHD external monitor, although that Link2 adapter does. 

Note that Windows sees both monitors and sees the laptop screen as having resolutions from 19800x1024 down to about 1000x600. So the problems are not hardware problems.

This is the main complaint I have about the 9360 XPS13.

0 Kudos
piattj
1 Nickel

Regarding the touchpad issue, especially the unwanted clicks -- isn't the real culprit the fact that the sensitivity is not configurable? I'm on OpenSuse, not Ubuntu, and there is no sensitivity information being transmitted from my trackpad. Perhaps this problem isn't present in Ubuntu?

I've looked at evtest, xinput, libinput, synaptics, xev (different animals, I know), and nowhere does sensitivity-related data show up as being in effect. Changing relevant settings, for example through the touchpad settings gui, or through synclient (FingerHigh, FingerLow), has no effect at all. It's my single biggest complaint with the machine. Hours and hours, days and days of research, workarounds, etc., has lead me nowhere.

It bothers me because I bought the 9360, which was out of my budget, because I read it was the smoothest laptop for linux. I put Fedora on my mom's old Asus, and changing trackpad sensitivity was a snap. Like many others who have the 9360, I cannot touch the trackpad without generating a click, no matter how feather-light I try to graze it. Frustrating.

0 Kudos
piattj
1 Nickel

Here, for example, is the beginning of the output for evtest on my XPS 9360. I'm not sure if ABS_PRESSURE and/or ABS_MT_PRESSURE are supposed to show up here as supported events, but I would imagine so. For the XPS 9360 touchpad to be able to have sensitivity settings set, it would need to be generating pressure data. As evtest logs events with my touchpad, the events indicated below are indeed shown as I swipe and click, but ABS_MT_PRESSURE never shows up.

> sudo evtest /dev/input/event16
[sudo] password for root:
Input driver version is 1.0.1
Input device ID: bus 0x18 vendor 0x6cb product 0x76af version 0x100
Input device name: "DLL075B:01 06CB:76AF Touchpad"
Supported events:
  Event type 0 (EV_SYN)
  Event type 1 (EV_KEY)
    Event code 272 (BTN_LEFT)
    Event code 325 (BTN_TOOL_FINGER)
    Event code 328 (BTN_TOOL_QUINTTAP)
    Event code 330 (BTN_TOUCH)
    Event code 333 (BTN_TOOL_DOUBLETAP)
    Event code 334 (BTN_TOOL_TRIPLETAP)
    Event code 335 (BTN_TOOL_QUADTAP)
  Event type 3 (EV_ABS)
    Event code 0 (ABS_X)
      Value    616
      Min        0
      Max     1216
      Resolution      12
    Event code 1 (ABS_Y)
      Value    294
      Min        0
      Max      680
      Resolution      12
    Event code 47 (ABS_MT_SLOT)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max        4
    Event code 53 (ABS_MT_POSITION_X)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max     1216
      Resolution      12
    Event code 54 (ABS_MT_POSITION_Y)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max      680
      Resolution      12
    Event code 57 (ABS_MT_TRACKING_ID)
      Value      0
      Min        0
      Max    65535
Properties:
  Property type 0 (INPUT_PROP_POINTER)
  Property type 2 (INPUT_PROP_BUTTONPAD)
Testing ... (interrupt to exit)

0 Kudos

Hi, I just got the Dell XPS 13 DE, running 16.04 LTS.

I'm having major problems with my wireless performance. While the connection is stable, I am seeing really low bit rates of 1 Mb/s. This problem is reproducible for other infrastructure that I connect to at my university and research lab.

Here is the iwconfig info:

wlp58s0   IEEE 802.11abgn  ESSID:"Cafe1807"  

Mode:Managed  Frequency:2.442 GHz  Access Point: 30:46:9A:45:2A:90  

Bit Rate=1 Mb/s   Tx-Power=20 dBm  

Retry short limit:7   RTS thrSmiley Surprisedff   Fragment thrSmiley Surprisedff

Power ManagementSmiley Surprisedn

Link Quality=48/70  Signal level=-62 dBm  

Rx invalid nwid:0  Rx invalid crypt:0  Rx invalid frag:0

Tx excessive retries:0  Invalid misc:182   Missed beacon:0

I believe this is with the killer wireless from Qualcomm/Atheros (reported by lspci):

3a:00.0 Network controller: Qualcomm Atheros QCA6174 802.11ac Wireless Network Adapter (rev 32)

Am I going insane or is anyone else seeing this? This is such a great laptop, but I cannot do anything serious because of this networking issue.

I also tried to do an update of linux-firmware (including just trying to reinstall) but it doesn't seem to fix the issue. Luckily, it doesn't seem to break things further.

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

This is also for Dell customer support. This is a brand new laptop. When I go to the web site and enter the service tag, I am told that no warranty support is available. Isn't this system under a basic warranty at least a few days after one receives it??

0 Kudos
wgunruh
1 Nickel

Are you sure that the 1Mb/s is not just a report rather than the real upper rate? Ie, a bug in reporting rather than actual performance. I certainly have gotten over 1MB/s  whith MB=Mega Byte, Mb=Mega bit)

I have also had trouble putting in the right thing they want for the warrenty support, anid it reporting no support (I have 3 year including accident replacement)

I believe that the standard minimal warrantee is 1 year.

0 Kudos
abrahm
1 Nickel

The Atheros firmware never reported an accurate Bit Rate for me. I used netperf (or similar tool) to a local wired computer to get accurate throughput numbers.

0 Kudos