Start a Conversation

Unsolved

This post is more than 5 years old

April 12th, 2016 15:00

xps 13 9350 - lshw crash on clean system

Hi,

I am getting lshw segfault crashes on an xps 13 9350 DE.

I just restored the laptop to factory settings, turned it on and made all updates from the ubuntu update manager. After updates were done and system got rebooted, crashes started happening. I noticed the system is also a bit warmer than what I would expect even when seemingly idle.

Here is a crash report.

Does anyone have any ideas what might be happening?

(I will also shortly install cinnamon using the following two commands:

sudo add-apt-repository ppa:embrosyn/cinnamon

sudo apt-get update && sudo apt-get install cinnamon

and a few other software, but the crashes started happening when the system was clean)

15 Posts

April 12th, 2016 18:00

Update:

I updated the bios firmware   (by downloading the windows EXE file from the dell website, putting it into the recovery partition and then flashing it within from the bios itself, so no need to install windows just for that. @Barton i think it would be useful to mention this possibility on the download page for the driver.)

This so far seems to have fixed some random freezes I was having, but unfortunately lshw is still crashing often.

15 Posts

April 12th, 2016 19:00

I found this thread

en.community.dell.com/.../19680501

I think the cause might be the same, as on my machine lshw does not work unless with the -disable SCSI option. Is there a patch we can use to prevent it from crashing continuously (some other process must be calling it)?

18 Posts

April 13th, 2016 22:00

Same problem here.

15 Posts

April 13th, 2016 23:00

I am still getting occasional system freezes, sometimes with kernel panics (i.e. caps lock is blinking).

dmesg/syslogs show a lot of ACPI and i915_bpo errors. 

Is this expected on this version of Ubuntu, or did I do something wrong/forgot to do some updates?

Do you think the situation would improve with a fresh install of the last development release of ubuntu 16.04?

No Events found!